Norwich United face runaway leaders Hadleigh
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
It's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire for Norwich United this afternoon.
A week after bowing out of the FA Vase at Ampthill in their biggest match of the season the Planters face another big test when they travel to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division leaders Hadleigh. The Suffolk outfit go into the game 19 points clear at the top - and are 31 ahead of United, who currently lie eighth but have games in hand on most of the sides above them.
Norfolk's highest placed team are Gorleston in fourth and they will be looking to consolidate that position this afternoon when they travel to mid-table Stanway Rovers. Thetford Town face a tough trip to fourth placed Haverhill Rovers while Diss host fellow strugglers FC Clacton and and Kirkley and Pakefield are at home to Mildenhall.
Meanwhile officials at struggling Downham Town have rubbished rumours the club could voluntarily drop out of the league. The Division One basement boys – who have shipped 96 goals this term – have been under temporary management since Pete Brassett quit in September. Their struggles have led to some suggesting the non-league outfit would be better off playing in the Anglian Combination. However, moving down a level is far from the minds of those in the club's hierarchy.
A statement from Town's committee said: 'We're not sure who these people are but the facts are wrong. At Anglian Comb, very few teams take a match fee, for Ang Comb Prem we would still have three officials and need to do food and refreshments. So the cost would be no different from Thurlow Nunn and the travel would not change much either. It would also prevent us from playing in competitions like the FA Vase and FA Cup in the future.'
You may also want to watch:
George Dickson and Craig Whylie take their strugglers to Yarmouth today while Swaffham host Needham Market Reserves and second-placed Fakenham entertain Long Melford.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch