Norwich United angry at sending-off

Ely 0, Norwich United 0

For the second game running Norwich United were involved in a goalless draw at Ely City.

But the talking point after the game was the controversial refereeing which culminated in the decision in the 61st minute which saw the dismissal of Planters goalkeeper Ben Nower.

Manager Paul Chick was furious after the game, feeling there had been bad decisions made throughout.

With the home side claiming the collision between Nower and an Ely player took place just inside the area and the players run taking him toward the corner flag, referee Scott Millar gave a free kick outside the area and held a red card aloft for the injured Nower.

Andy Key immediately replaced the unlucky Liam Harvey-Cooper and took over the gloves immediately saving the free kick from David Wilson.

Key looked assured and confident but had little work to do as the ten men of Norwich looked the more likely to break the deadlock in the remaining half an hour, Nathan Clarke heading over from a Lee Hunter corner and Justin Fox attempting a lob from 45 yards in injury time which brought a good diving save from Lee Pacey.

Most Read

Before the dismissal both sides had gone close and both goalkeepers had made important saves to keep the match goalless. Nower had to push a Josh Bridgeman drive wide for a corner as early as the seventh minute. The Planters then pressured the Ely goal and three consecutive corners saw Clarke head over.

Halfway through the half David Cory's flick found Hunter who crossed to the far post where Harvey-Cooper headed wide.

The game had opened up and Nower had to save from Sam Goodge and straight away at the other end Fox and Harvey-Cooper set up Cory whose shot was well saved by Pacey. Nower once more had to push wide a Sam Parkinson free kick.

As the half closed the Planters twice went close, Carl Poppy's shot was deflected wide for a corner and from the corner Clarke saw his shot turned onto the post by Pacey.

The Planters started the second half with a Hunter corner headed back by Clarke and Joe Jefford headed over. Andrew Claydon the laid the ball off for Harvey-Cooper whose shot went across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

Bridgeman then hit wide for the hosts after the Planters failed to fully clear an Ely corner minutes before the official meltdown.

Ely City: Pacey, Sterecki, Parkinson, Murray, Dalby, Fretwell, Wilson, Wallis, Chadwick, Goodge, Bridgeman. Unused Subs: Lawrence, Pettit.

Norwich United: Nower, Shipley, Jeal, Jefford, Clarke, Fox, Hunter, Poppy (Foster 71), Claydon, Cory, Harvey-Cooper (Key 62). Unused sub: Preston.

Referee: S Millar

Assistants: G Daish & J Marasca.

Attendance: 93

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter