Norwich United 1 Dereham Town 3: Ashley Jarvis hat-trick maintains Magpies’ perfect start to season
- Credit: IAN BURT
Dereham Town striker Ashley Jarvis hit a hat-trick to help down Norwich United and make it four wins out of four in the Bostik League Division One North.
The Magpies took the lead in the 12th minute on a baking hot day at Plantation Park.
Visiting keeper Elliot Pride's long clearance was headed on by Jake Anema to Jarvis, who did the rest with a powerful volley in the 12th minute.
They nearly increased their lead minutes later with Anema's attempted curler just speeding past Jarvis as he looked to finish at the post.
Norwich were finding it difficult to create anything with Dereham in control and it was no surprise when the Magpies added to their tally in the 33rd minute. Danny Beaumont's corner on the right was headed down by Jay Eastoe-Smith and Ashley Jarvis reacted well to hook the ball home from close range for his second goal of the match.
You may also want to watch:
Jarvis was unlucky not to complete his hat-trick early in the second half. After receiving Beaumont's long clearance and racing into the box his low drive struck the foot of Wilton's post in the 50th minute.
Norwich had their first chance and were denied by an exceptional save from Pride. Nathan Stewart pulled the ball back to Adam Hipperson who looked set to score from point blank range until the visiting keeper made a remarkable reaction save.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 10 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
Dereham increased their lead with a superbly worked goal in the 74th minute. Robbie Linford spread play wide to Rhys Logan on the right and his centre towards the penalty spot was firmly headed home by Jarvis for his third of the afternoon.
The game erupted in the 83rd minute with Norwich skipper Andrew Eastaugh being sent off for violent conduct following a corner.
Dereham skipper David Hinton was also dismissed for protesting to the referee and causing a melee. The home side pulled a goal back in the 87th minute with substitute Liam Jackson netting from close range following Jamie Speller's free kick.
Norwich United: Wilton, Pollock, Watts, Crosby (Mackie 45), Wones, Eastaugh, Jones, Speller, Hipperson, Cheese, Stewart (Jackson 74). Subs not used: Will, Probert, Johnson.
Dereham: Pride, Garner, Taylor, Linford, Eastoe-Smith, Ebbage, Logan, Hinton, Jarvis (Murphy 79), Anema (Dodden 69), Beaumont (Kindred 88). Subs not used: Bibby, Bean
Referee: O Morris-Sanders