Jordan Rocastle at the double as Riverside Rovers avoid shock in Norwich Sunday League Cup
- Credit: Archant
The first round of the Norwich Sunday League's League Cup took place on a morning that was damp and gloomy – but saw some cracking encounters take place.
In probably the tie of the round, Division Two leaders Woolpack FC took a first-half lead against reigning league champions Riverside Rovers, when Chris Holmes scored with a neat finish, but shortly before the break Jordan Rocastle latched onto a long ball played in behind the home defence to beat the keeper.
A similar goal from the same player put Rovers 2-1 ahead, before they were reduced to 10 men, but despite the reduction in numbers a trademark Arron Kay goal made it 3-1 and that's how the game finished.
Longdale Rovers produced probably the result of the round as they won by the odd goal in nine at DE FC, whilst Trimingham Pilgrims will be pleased with their 3-1 victory at The Middle Green.
Farmhouse scored four (Stephen Blake 2, Darren Parnell, Robert Warminger) without reply as they beat Mettingham and Poringland Wanderers progressed to the next round after coming from two down to beat Bungay Town 4-2 (Ben Fowkes, Chris Lay, Martin Stone, Keiran Leggett) after extra time.
You may also want to watch:
Sprowston Wanderers also scored four (Daniel Childerhouse 2, James Denmark, Ben Moon) as they beat Horsford 4-1 and Aslacton did the same when winning 4-0 at Mad Moose.
Craig McKail and Benedict Potts scored for Hewett OBs as they won 2-0 at Hellesdon, whilst Owen Page (4), James Daniels (3), Nick Aston and Ben Nichols all scored as Brooke went through 9-0 at the expense of Sprowston Athletic Wildcats.
- 1 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
A single goal was enough for Phoenix to defeat Marlborough and Windmill Wanderers advanced after a 3-2 win at Barracks.
Drayton Dazzlers scored seven times when beating Briston FC 7-2 and despite taking the lead through Joe Bickel, Hethersett Athletic went down to a last-minute winner from Kevin Brown as Vale Longo hit back to win 3-2. Nick Benfield was the other Hethersett scorer whilst Callum Warnock and an own goal also made the Longo scoresheet. The Norman Wanderers against Mischief tie was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, whilst Acle Rangers received a walkover.