Norwich’s Darren Webster loses to Peter Wright in World Matchplay derby clash
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
Norwich's Darren Webster is out of the World Matchplay after losing a derby clash against Peter Wright.
Webster was beaten by Suffolk number three seed 16-12 in the quarter-finals at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool.
A see-saw contest began with Wright taking a 2-0 lead before Webster hit back to move 3-2 up, twice punishing misses from the world number three. A pair of 96 checkouts, to complete legs of 11 and 12 darts, moved Wright 4-3 up only for him to see Webster move back in front at 5-4 and 6-5.
Wright levelled with a 101 finish, and then came from 8-6 down to lead 9-8 as he broke twice in a three-leg run. Again, though, missed doubles cost Wright dearly as Webster levelled in leg 18, finished double five to move back ahead and double 16 to break for an 11-9 cushion.
But Wright took a three-leg lead for the first time at 14-11 before closing it out.
You may also want to watch:
Wright will now face Daryl Gurney in the semi-finals. Gurney was a 16-13 winner over Mensur Suljovic.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre