Norwich’s Darren Webster loses to Peter Wright in World Matchplay derby clash
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
Norwich's Darren Webster is out of the World Matchplay after losing a derby clash against Peter Wright.
Webster was beaten by Suffolk number three seed 16-12 in the quarter-finals at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool.
A see-saw contest began with Wright taking a 2-0 lead before Webster hit back to move 3-2 up, twice punishing misses from the world number three. A pair of 96 checkouts, to complete legs of 11 and 12 darts, moved Wright 4-3 up only for him to see Webster move back in front at 5-4 and 6-5.
Wright levelled with a 101 finish, and then came from 8-6 down to lead 9-8 as he broke twice in a three-leg run. Again, though, missed doubles cost Wright dearly as Webster levelled in leg 18, finished double five to move back ahead and double 16 to break for an 11-9 cushion.
But Wright took a three-leg lead for the first time at 14-11 before closing it out.
You may also want to watch:
Wright will now face Daryl Gurney in the semi-finals. Gurney was a 16-13 winner over Mensur Suljovic.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 7 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 8 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 9 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 10 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror