Norwich come away from Romford with 54-25 victory
- Credit: Archant
Norwich got back to winning ways although the scoreline somewhat flattered the visitors who were made to work hard for their win.
Norwich opened the scoring with a drive from the forwards that resulted in a try for Jack Walsh. Shortly afterwards the visitors lost lock Nathan Wilson to hospital with a shoulder injury and Josh Wilson joined the fray. Three minutes later Walsh made a break down the centre and passed to hooker Phil Buckley who sprinted 25 metres to the line, with Theo Elliott adding the conversion. Five minutes later Norwich added another converted try, this time by Tom Stanley, to take the score to 0-19.
However, Romford had no intention of letting the game slip away and two minutes later they scored an unconverted try wide out before a penalty further reduced the arrears to 8-19 at half-time.
The second half started poorly for Norwich when they conceded a try in the left hand corner from a passage of open flowing rugby. But they hit back four minutes later after a breakthrough by the Austin brothers Laurence and Nick saw a pass popped to Chris Parrot to score under the posts which was converted and followed up with a second try for Stanley.
Norwich continued to dominate and six minutes later Tristan Smith outstripped the Romford defence after a break by Parrott which Elliot converted. Laurence Austin then made a searing break from the kick-off and off-loaded to Matt Selby who, unselfishly, put Wilson in to score a converted try between the posts to make it 13-47.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich then assisted their opponents by conceding two yellow cards within six minutes for technical offences, the second after Romford had scored an unconverted try. With 15 players against 13, Romford scored again four minutes later, taking the score to 25-47 and picking up a bonus point.
A minute before full time Laurence Austin, now playing in his normal back row position, stormed through the tired Romford defence to complete the scoring. It was a satisfying bonus point win for Norwich which cemented their fourth place in the league.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 9 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns