Norwich keep up the good work at Beeston Hyrne

Norwich get more points on the board against Woodford on Saturday. Picture: ANDY MICKLETHWAITE

Norwich get more points on the board against Woodford on Saturday. Picture: ANDY MICKLETHWAITE - Credit: Archant

Norwich went into their penultimate home game of the season on the back of an excellent win at Cantabrigian and duly followed that up with another fine victory.

Woodford soon made it clear that they were not there just to make up the numbers however and it was 10 minutes before Norwich made it into their half.

From a lineout the visitors got a rolling maul going and second row Charlie Simpson got over for the opening try which was converted by fly-half Tom Redfern.

Norwich struggled in the lineout without Laurence Austin, who is a huge influence in this area, but after half an hour they scored halfway out when the ball went loose on the Woodford 22. It was quickly gathered and prop Ryan Bigland went over and scrum-half Jonny Payne added the conversion to level the score at 7-7.

Rob Micklethwaite came on for the second half, replacing Jonny Wheater on the wing who suffered a calf injury just before the break. Norwich started the half with a stunning move down the left which appeared to have brought a try, only to have to come back for a foot in touch.

Fly-half Theo Elliott, returning after injury, took over the kicking duties and landed a penalty to put Norwich in front for the first time. Shortly afterwards Woodford's captain was sinbinned for a high tackle and Elliott kicked the resulting penalty to put Norwich 13-7 up.

The game then became rather scrappy with Norwich making some basic errors and failing to secure their own lineout ball. This in turn meant having to defend for some time which to their credit they did well, with Woodford never really looking like scoring. The visitors also got on the wrong side of the referee Doug Cooke and after a period of Norwich pressure he awarded them a penalty try which Elliott converted with 10 minutes left.

Most Read

Woodford were then chasing the game and attacked at every opportunity but Norwich were up to the task and increased the lead with a last minute try scored by Peter Hosking which went unconverted to secure the game just before the final whistle.

There was a good crowd celebrating the Harvey Back to Norwich Day in memory of a much loved former president Alan 'Ziggy' Harvey.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter