Norwich hit back in second half to make it two wins out of two

Norwich's Chris Parrott gets tackled as the rain lashes down in Cambridge. Picture: Andy Micklethwai

Norwich's Chris Parrott gets tackled as the rain lashes down in Cambridge. Picture: Andy Micklethwaite - Credit: Archant

Norwich launched an impressive second half comeback to ensure a second successive win.

If the visitors were expecting an easy game after Cantabs' defeat by Old Cooperians by 60 points they were in for a shock as the home side had several key players missing the previous week.

Just before the start there was a deluge and the referee decided to delay the kick-off for 10 minutes. When the game did get under way it was Cantabs who drew first blood in the very first minute.

Fly-half James Hayward hoisted a huge kick that Norwich could not deal with and the loose ball was hacked forward, with Hayward getting the touchdown and then converting his own try.

Both sides found handling the wet ball a hazardous business but it was Norwich who were winning the territorial battle. But stout defence kept them out and they only had a Theo Elliott penalty in the 12th minute to show for their efforts.

You may also want to watch:

A break by Rob Mickelthwaite nearly brought a score but the final pass was knocked on by the home side. With half-time looming Cantabs had a period of pressure and were awarded a penalty which full-back Nick Denham kicked to give them the half-time lead of 10-3.

Norwich continued to have the territorial advantage during the first quarter of the second half but the greasy ball was causing handling errors. It was centre Jonny Wheater who finally broke the deadlock with a superb break to score under the posts for Elliott to add the easy conversion which levelled the score. Norwich continued to pile on the pressure and after a series of pick up and go charges it was Laurence Austin who crashed over in the left hand corner to give Norwich the lead for the first time. The try was unconverted.

Most Read

Norwich sensed the match was there for the taking as Cantabs visibly tired. A penalty was kicked into the corner and from the lineout Norwich set up a rolling maul and it was replacement flanker Jake Wharton who was credited with the try to which Elliott added a magnificent conversion. With minutes remaining Norwich got the bonus point try when full-back Chris Parrott made a break down the right before passing inside to right winger Martin Cullum who scored a try which went unconverted.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus