Norwich footballer Melissa is heading to Euro 2012
A Norwich footballer is heading to Poland and Ukraine to report on the Euro 2012 football championships this week, after winning a national competition.
Melissa Rudd, 22, from Hellesdon, will be flying out to eastern Europe after finding out she had won the competition last week.
Miss Rudd won her prize through a competition run by Euro 2012's official sponsor, Coca Cola, and has also won a six-month paid internship with a national sports radio station – boosting her hopes of a career in sports journalism.
The University of Lincoln journalism graduate, who also plays in central midfield for Norwich City Ladies FC, said: 'The main thing has always been the job but going to the Euros as well is fantastic, an added bonus. It still all seems a bit surreal but I'm really looking forward to it.'
Melissa, pictured, expects to fly out next Friday and be based in the Polish capital, Warsaw, to cover some of the group stage matches.
You may also want to watch:
She has been a Norwich City season ticket holder since the age of nine and sits in the lower Barclay she added: 'The dream has always been to cover sport but I know a lot of people in journalism have to start in news and get into sport later in their career.
'But I did broadcast modules in my degree, so to specialise in radio and sport is perfect.'
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Miss Rudd beat hundreds of entrants, despite hearing about the contest just a day before deadline.
Competitors had to complete a range of tasks, including interviewing people in London and former Ipswich Town captain Matt Holland during a live press confer-ence. Miss Rudd will now work for Talksport radio for six months.
Chris Deere, Coca-Cola GB market manager, said: 'She deserves every success.'
The Evening News will provide in-depth coverage of Euro 2012 throughout the tournament.
Are you going to the Euros? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or david.freezer as below.