Norwich footballer Melissa is heading to Euro 2012
A Norwich footballer is heading to Poland and Ukraine to report on the Euro 2012 football championships this week, after winning a national competition.
Melissa Rudd, 22, from Hellesdon, will be flying out to eastern Europe after finding out she had won the competition last week.
Miss Rudd won her prize through a competition run by Euro 2012's official sponsor, Coca Cola, and has also won a six-month paid internship with a national sports radio station – boosting her hopes of a career in sports journalism.
The University of Lincoln journalism graduate, who also plays in central midfield for Norwich City Ladies FC, said: 'The main thing has always been the job but going to the Euros as well is fantastic, an added bonus. It still all seems a bit surreal but I'm really looking forward to it.'
Melissa, pictured, expects to fly out next Friday and be based in the Polish capital, Warsaw, to cover some of the group stage matches.
You may also want to watch:
She has been a Norwich City season ticket holder since the age of nine and sits in the lower Barclay she added: 'The dream has always been to cover sport but I know a lot of people in journalism have to start in news and get into sport later in their career.
'But I did broadcast modules in my degree, so to specialise in radio and sport is perfect.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
Miss Rudd beat hundreds of entrants, despite hearing about the contest just a day before deadline.
Competitors had to complete a range of tasks, including interviewing people in London and former Ipswich Town captain Matt Holland during a live press confer-ence. Miss Rudd will now work for Talksport radio for six months.
Chris Deere, Coca-Cola GB market manager, said: 'She deserves every success.'
The Evening News will provide in-depth coverage of Euro 2012 throughout the tournament.
Are you going to the Euros? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or david.freezer as below.