Norwich duo hit the road to raise money for Big C
Two Norwich cricketers are swapping their whites for bikes to raise money for the Big C Cancer Charity.
Chris Borrett, 30, and his brother-in-law, Tom Vaughan, 31, of Norwich Cricket Club, are planning a sponsored bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats in April and are hoping to raise around �4,000 for the charity.
Borrett said: 'Over the last few years we have both had family members and friends die from cancer. Through our involvement with sport we have an opportunity to raise a bit of money and support the work of the Big C locally.'
The pair are aiming to cover 100 miles a day, starting at 8am and biking for 10 hours each day to reach their destination within 10 days. Borrett added: 'We have our accommodation booked for each night, so I guess we'll have to get to our destination each day, however long it takes!'
Their parents will provide support throughout the trip and they will also be joined by guest riders along the way.
While neither men are avid cyclists, they have started fitness training for the 1,000 mile journey, which will take them up the west side of England before cutting across Scotland to reach their final destination. They are currently performing training rides and gradually building up to the 100 miles a day mark which would see them complete the journey on time.
Borrett has played cricket for Norfolk and rugby for North Walsham, while Vaughan is also goalkeeper for Dereham Hockey Club's first team, who are currently top of the East Men's League Premier B Division.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 3 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 4 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 5 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 6 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 7 Redundancy leads to Norfolk mum earning up to £3,000 a month
- 8 How much will Great Yarmouth's new Marina Centre cost?
- 9 Norfolk's landmark vote to curb second homes
- 10 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
Anyone wishing to sponsor the duo can find more information at their specially designed website, www.charitybikeride2011.co.uk