Norwich darts ace Darren Webster shocks James Wade at World Matchplay
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
Norwich darts ace Darren Webster caused a major upset in the first round of the BetVictor World Matchplay at Blackpool by beating former champion James Wade.
Wade missed three darts to take the match and Webster took full advantage, winning a marathon clash 13-11, 10 years after Wade lifted the Matchplay title.
Winning 9-8, Wade blundered with three darts that would have seen him advance into the next round.
Wade, world number six, left the stage for an extended period at 10-1 but upon his return Webster finished the job, stringing together two legs in a row.
'I'm the happiest man in Blackpool - over the moon!' said Webster, who will now face Steve West in the second round on Tuesday night after he overcame Michael Smith 10-5 in the first round.
You may also want to watch:
UK Open champion Peter Wright overcame a huge scare against debutant James Wilson before edging to a 10-8 win to avoid joining Wade as a seeded player to exit on the opening night.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach