Norwich darts ace Darren Webster shocks James Wade at World Matchplay
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
Norwich darts ace Darren Webster caused a major upset in the first round of the BetVictor World Matchplay at Blackpool by beating former champion James Wade.
Wade missed three darts to take the match and Webster took full advantage, winning a marathon clash 13-11, 10 years after Wade lifted the Matchplay title.
Winning 9-8, Wade blundered with three darts that would have seen him advance into the next round.
Wade, world number six, left the stage for an extended period at 10-1 but upon his return Webster finished the job, stringing together two legs in a row.
'I'm the happiest man in Blackpool - over the moon!' said Webster, who will now face Steve West in the second round on Tuesday night after he overcame Michael Smith 10-5 in the first round.
You may also want to watch:
UK Open champion Peter Wright overcame a huge scare against debutant James Wilson before edging to a 10-8 win to avoid joining Wade as a seeded player to exit on the opening night.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 7 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 8 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 9 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 10 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor