Youssouf Mulumbu to miss Norwich City’s clash with Birmingham City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Youssouf Mulumbu will not be available for Norwich City's home clash with Birmingham City on Saturday, after helping Democratic Republic of Congo seal qualification for the African Cup of Nations quarter-finals.
The 29-year-old central midfielder missed his country's opening game in the tournament in Gabon, a 1-0 win over Morocco in their Group C opener last Monday.
He then came on in the 72nd minute of a 2-2 draw with Ivory Coast on Friday and started this evening's 3-1 win over Togo which sealed top spot in the group, playing the whole match.
DR Congo will now play the team who finish second in Group D, likely to be Egypt or Ghana, in the quarter-finals at 4pm UK time on Sunday, January 29.
Mulumbu has not played for City since playing all of a 0-0 draw at Brentford in the Championship on New Year's Eve, so far missing five games due to his time at AFCON.
That has come at an unhelpful time for Canaries boss Alex Neil, due to fellow central midfielders Graham Dorrans (knee) and Louis Thompson (pelvis) being out injured, and Alex Tettey being one yellow card away from a two-match suspension.
If DR Congo – who also have former Norwich loan striker Dieumerci Mbokani in their squad – win their quarter-final then Mulumbu will be away until at least Saturday, February 4 for a third-place play-off.
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 4 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 7 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 8 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 9 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 10 High Court threat to A47 dualling plan
That would mean he would also miss the trip to Cardiff City and potentially the match at Wigan Athletic on Tuesday, February 7 as well.
Mulumbu has made 13 appearances for City so far this season but his contract is due to expire this summer.