Youssouf Mulumbu to miss Norwich City’s clash with Birmingham City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Youssouf Mulumbu will not be available for Norwich City's home clash with Birmingham City on Saturday, after helping Democratic Republic of Congo seal qualification for the African Cup of Nations quarter-finals.
The 29-year-old central midfielder missed his country's opening game in the tournament in Gabon, a 1-0 win over Morocco in their Group C opener last Monday.
He then came on in the 72nd minute of a 2-2 draw with Ivory Coast on Friday and started this evening's 3-1 win over Togo which sealed top spot in the group, playing the whole match.
DR Congo will now play the team who finish second in Group D, likely to be Egypt or Ghana, in the quarter-finals at 4pm UK time on Sunday, January 29.
Mulumbu has not played for City since playing all of a 0-0 draw at Brentford in the Championship on New Year's Eve, so far missing five games due to his time at AFCON.
You may also want to watch:
That has come at an unhelpful time for Canaries boss Alex Neil, due to fellow central midfielders Graham Dorrans (knee) and Louis Thompson (pelvis) being out injured, and Alex Tettey being one yellow card away from a two-match suspension.
If DR Congo – who also have former Norwich loan striker Dieumerci Mbokani in their squad – win their quarter-final then Mulumbu will be away until at least Saturday, February 4 for a third-place play-off.
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 6 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 7 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 8 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
- 9 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
That would mean he would also miss the trip to Cardiff City and potentially the match at Wigan Athletic on Tuesday, February 7 as well.
Mulumbu has made 13 appearances for City so far this season but his contract is due to expire this summer.