After Moroccan all over the world, his Carrow Road return is confirmed on the anniversary of THAT goal
- Credit: Archant © 2005
Former Morocco midfielder Youssef Safri will get to relive past Carrow Road glories, as the latest player recruited for Norwich City Legends' inaugural game – against Inter Forever.
The popular midfield figure made 92 appearances in yellow and green during three years with the club from 2004, alongside 70 international caps that included helping Morocco to the 2004 African Cup of Nations final.
Now he will return to Carrow Road on Sunday, May 20 (2pm) as City's newly-formed Legends side take on Inter Forever – marking 25 years since Mike Walker's Canaries made a memorable run to the third round of the Uefa Cup in 1993; one that ended at the hands of the Milan giants in the San Siro.
The game, supported by the club's community partner Aviva, is raising funds to build a new sports facility and home for Norwich City's Community Sports Foundation – to be called The Nest, on the northern outskirts of Norwich.
Safri's unveiling comes within a day of an anniversary of his own – 13 years since his remarkable 40-yard strike etched its place in Carrow Road folklore, as well as helping City to a stirring comeback Premier League win over Newcastle United.
The Moroccan midfield general also enjoyed successful spells at Coventry and Southampton while in England and is currently assistant manager at his boyhood club, Raja Casablanca.
You may also want to watch:
Safri's name joins a healthy list of players already confirmed for the post-season legends clash.
City's squad will include Bryan Gunn, Darren Huckerby, Adam Drury, Chris Sutton, Iwan Roberts, Grant Holt, Mark Bowen, Rob Newman, Daryl Sutch, Paul McVeigh, Robert Ullathorne and John Polston – seven of whom were part of City's historic Uefa Cup run.
- 1 Large police presence in Norfolk village after person dies on boat
- 2 Latest situation at Norfolk hospitals sees covid-related admissions remain static
- 3 Village pub offers 'proper' 1p 'Penne-y Pasta' dish with alcoholic drink
- 4 Schools close early for Christmas after outbreak of 11 Covid cases
- 5 30,000 Christmas turkeys to be culled in bird flu outbreak
- 6 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 7 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
- 8 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 9 Stubborn swan squares up to traffic in Norfolk village
- 10 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through Suffolk and Norfolk
Meanwhile, the Italians' established Inter Forever squad has ensured some big hitters will take to Carrow Road, with legendary German striker Jurgen Klinsmann, Javier Zanetti, Nicola Berti, Maicon, Marco Materazzi, Euro 2004 victor Giogos Karagounis and goalkeeper Francesco Toldo announced.
CSF have launched a Build The Nest campaign to raise £2.5m, which the game will contribute towards, while marking the approaching 25-year anniversary of City's famous Uefa Cup run under Mike Walker.
Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s from tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield. Find out more about The Nest at thenest.org.uk
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…