Young Guns: Norwich City look to turn back the clock to a golden age
- Credit: Archant
For all the wealth and finance fuelling the rise and rise of the Premier League there is still something special about seeing homegrown talent blossom at Norwich City.
The Canaries have a fine tradition of developing their own down the years and there are signs Alex Neil is keen to revive that tradition as he looks to establish the club in the big league.
Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie, Craig Bellamy and Robert Green all burst onto the scene at Norwich before making waves further afield. Jamie Cureton is still plying his trade at Dagenham 23 years after making his City debut and Norwich-bred Danny Mills went onto play for England at a World Cup finals after emerging through the Canaries' fabled youth ranks.
Hopes are high for the current crop, with 2013 FA Youth Cup winners Josh and Jacob Murphy and Harry Toffolo continuing their Football League education.
Graeme Murty's U18s are also through to the last eight of this season's prestigious competition.
Neil is clearly keen to embellish the work of City's highly-rated academy by recruiting the best young talent. James Maddison, Ben Godfrey and Ebou Adams were all targeted and signed during the recent transfer window, and the way Norwich won the race for Coventry prodigy Maddison proved the Scot and the club's top brass mean business.
Norwich will never be able to match the financial muscle of the country's elite but if the current generation can enjoy similar success to their illustrious peers then City's support may be able to savour some good times ahead.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?