‘You have to hit the ground running because the Championship is unforgiving,’ Alex Neil on Norwich City’s mission
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is desperate to avoid a Premier League relegation hangover to hit the ground running in the Championship.
Neil aims to leave no stone unturned this summer as he strives to equip the Canaries for promotion.
'I will do everything in my power to make sure we are as strong as we can be for next season,' he said. 'We have just literally been relegated. There is a lot of soul-searching and discussions to be had in terms of what way the club is going to move forward. It is a big job here this summer now. Whenever you are relegated then you have a lot of work to do to stem that flow and turn it around. I think you need to change the mentality of the team, which is tough, and you have to hit the ground running because the Championship is an unforgiving league. It is Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday and the games come thick and fast and if you are not up into the mode of winning games then you can find yourself off that top spot and trying to catch ground up quickly. We have to get everybody focused and in that mindset of what we need to do and if they are not going to do that then we need to freshen it up.'
Neil is convinced City's owners will back his close season quest to get Norwich ready ahead of a Football League return.
'There is no question the club want to have a full-on crack at it,' he said. 'They have been nothing but supportive to me. That hasn't changed in all the time I have been here. I trust them. Without question they have everything to do with the club at heart.
You may also want to watch:
'Recruitment is something that has been discussed on numerous occasions. We obviously need to strengthen the squad and in vital positions. That would help and we can build from there. I have a really good set of lads, but as I said to them we have sold ourselves short.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 8 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000