World Cup winner and three iconic Canaries strikers added to legends line-up
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Three legendary strikers and a World Cup winner have been added to next year's legends game between Norwich City and Inter Milan.
The fund-raising exhibition match at Carrow Road will mark 25 years since the Canaries' famous Uefa Cup run of 1993 and raise money for the Community Sports Foundation (CSF), in aid of the charity's new facility, The Nest.
Another of the players to play in that European run, Chris Sutton, has been added to the City team alongside iconic front men Grant Holt and Iwan Roberts – with the trio having 200 Canaries goals between them.
They will join up with fellow Canaries legends Bryan Gunn, Adam Drury and Darren Huckerby in the home dressing room on Sunday, May 20, when Inter Forever will arrive with some high calibre talent.
World Cup winner Marco Materazzi has been added to the Inter squad for the game, which already includes fellow legends Francesco Toldo, Javier Zanetti and Nicola Berti.
The defender was a key part of Italy's 2006 World Cup triumph, scoring the equalising goal for the Azzurri in the final against France in Berlin and scoring one of the penalties as victory was sealed in a 5-3 shoot-out success.
He was also involved in one of the most memorable World Cup final moments, as he was the victim of Zinedine Zidane's headbutt during extra-time which sent shockwaves around the football world. Now aged 44, Materazzi won five Serie A titles and the 2010 Champions League with the Milan giants.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 5 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 7 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
Proceeds from the match (2pm kick-off), supported by City's community partner Aviva, will go towards the development of The Nest, on the former Anglian Windows site off Holt Road, near Norwich Airport – named after the club's former home.
The facility will feature seven outdoor football pitches, a clubhouse, and spectator facilities and is set to benefit around 10,000 people in Norfolk every year.
For more details about the new CSF facility, go to TheNest.org.uk.
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for under-18s, with hospitality packages available. Tickets are available online at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.