Wigan Reserves 2, Norwich City Reserves 2
Jamar Loza's late strike earned Norwich's second string their first away Premier Reserve League point of the season today against Wigan's Reserves.
Jacob Murphy had put a young Canaries' side in front inside the opening ten minutes before Jordan Rugg's double prior to the interval put the Latics' ahead at Robin Park in front of Wigan manager Roberto Martinez. The home side continued to boss proceedings but Loza's volley flew past former Coventry and Liverpool keeper Chris Kirkland on 82 minutes to salvage a hard-earned point.
The hosts responded well after Jacob Murphy had capitalised on indecision at the back to rifle home from just inside the Wigan penalty area. The lively Rugg rolled home six yards out after Michael Girvan's initial header was blocked and then grabbed a second when he latched onto Ryan Watson's pass to slot underneath the advancing David Wootton. Tim Chow and Jonathan Breeze went close for Wigan in an even second period. Kirkland was bailed out by his defence when the big keeper spilled a Norwich corner late on, but the former England squad man had no chance when Loza hammered home from 16 yards via Kirkland's far post.
• Wigan: Kirkland, Girvan, McCormack, Buxton, Langley, Boothman, Breeze, Chow, R Watson (Angoy, 80), Dawson (Myler, 80), Rugg (Morris, 46). Subs (not used): Hare, Robinson.
• Goals: Rugg (36, 40).
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 2 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 3 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 6 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 9 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
• Norwich (starting line up): Wootton, Brindley, Toffolo, Clunan, Barker, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson, Florence, Jacob Murphy, Loza, Joshua Murphy. Subs: Jones, Dobbs, Carroll, McGeehan.
• Goals: Jacob Murphy (6), Loza (82).