West Ham held to draw by Charlton ahead of pre-season clash with Norwich City
- Credit: Empics Sports Photography Ltd.
West Ham warmed up for tomorrow night's pre-season clash against Norwich City by drawing 0-0 at Championship side Charlton Athletic.
The Hammers will be at Carrow Road for a match which will be broadcast live by Mustard TV, in association with Pleasurewood Hills.
New manager Slaven Bilic named a reasonably strong side for the clash with the Addicks, including summer signing Dimitri Payet and star strikers Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia.
Centre-back James Tomkins captained the side, following his red card in a near-embarrassment for the Hammers in the second round of Europa League qualifying on Thursday night.
A 1-0 loss away at Maltese minnows Birkirkara saw the qualifier go to a penalty shootout, with the Premier League side winning 5-3 and Payet scoring the winner.
Bilic saw little else encouraging at The Valley either on Saturday, with the lower-level hosts having the better of a fairly drab stalemate which saw both sides boost their fitness levels.
You may also want to watch:
The former Croatia boss will hope for a better showing in Norfolk but will have to think carefully about his team selection for the game, as the third round of Europa League qualifying begins at Upton Park on Thursday night, against Romanian side Astra Giurgiu. That could mean several youngsters will feature against the Canaries tomorrow – in a match which is part of City's celebrations of 80 years at Carrow Road, as the Hammers provided the first opposition at the stadium in 1935.
Left-back Stephen Hendrie started against the Addicks and could be set for a reunion with Norwich boss Alex Neil tomorrow, who he played for at Hamilton Academical before signing a pre-contract agreement with the Hammers in a £1million deal in January.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
• Mustard TV's new On The Ball City Live programme will begin from 7.30pm tomorrow night, with commentary provided by TalkSport's Tom Rennie and EDP sports reporter Michael Bailey. Half-time and post-match analysis will also feature, with the programme being repeated at 11pm on Wednesday night and available on-demand on Norwich City's pay TV service, Canaries World. Saturday's friendly with Brentford at Carrow Road will also be broadcast by Mustard TV, from 2.45pm, and will be repeated at 7pm the same day.