Wes Hoolahan urges Norwich City to do their talking on the pitch
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Wes Hoolahan is urging the Canaries to justify top billing in the Championship by sealing a Premier League return.
Alex Neil's squad have been feted as the best in the division but Hoolahan, who on Thursday was included in the Republic of Ireland's provisional 35-man party for an upcoming Euro 2016 qualifier against Poland in Dublin, knows there is plenty of hard work ahead over the run-in to emulate his class of 2011 who clinched top flight football.
'It is easy for others to say we have the best squad in this league but we have to go out and do it,' he said. 'Hopefully if we are promoted then we can turn around and say that and of course we can get automatic promotion. This team has the credentials, we have a good set of players and a great manager and it would be massive to get back.
'Last year was a huge disappointment. We had a winning start before we hit a bit of a blip but this would be a great achievement for the lads and everyone connected with the club.
'It is quite similar to 2011. The atmosphere is great, we have a good unit and the new gaffer has put it all together nicely. We are winning games and we are working hard. Against Blackburn for instance we scored late and that was how we did it the last time we were in this league with a lot of late goals.'
Hoolahan has been impressed with Neil's immediate impact at Carrow Road.
'He knows what he wants from the players and we have all thrived on that. If you don't do it, then you don't play. It's as simple as that,' he said. 'Against Wolves I didn't play and he knew we needed stronger players and he is good tactically. You have to work hard, we probably weren't working as hard before he came in and we are getting our rewards by being on a great run at the moment. He stamps his authority. There is no messing about. If you don't play well he will take you off straight away.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 5 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 6 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 7 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 8 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 9 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country