Leitner shows he’s worthy of loan return as midfielder continues to create for Canaries during dreadful defeat at Wednesday
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our final Norwich City player watch of the season followed the fortunes of midfielder Moritz Leitner, as the German completed his loan from Augsburg during a dreadful 5-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday. Here's how his afternoon unfolded...
1 – Nips in ahead of Barry Bannan to clear a loose Timm Klose pass. Soon after chucks himself into a tackle on Atdhe Nuhiu in his own box to clear the danger.
5 – Left chasing shadows as Wednesday put their foot on the pedal but Fernando Forestieri scuffs a shot wide.
11 – Turns back on a Forestieri shot but the shot is poor. Moves further forward as Ivo Pinto comes on for James Maddison and Harrison Reed goes into midfield.
12 – Thumps a volley back across goal but Glenn Loovens clears, takes over corner duties.
You may also want to watch:
23 – Looks to have made a decent tackle on Lucas Joao in his own half but adjudged to have clipped the forward's ankles.
27 – Shoved over by Joey Pelupessy, winning a free-kick, but looking rather lost in the number 10 position.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 4 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 7 New landlords hope to serve up Thai food in suburban pub
- 8 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 9 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 10 City closing in on Werder Bremen striker
29 – Floats a free-kick in but Klose can't keep the ball in play.
34 – Spots a gap and fine ball through to Reed, who wins a corner, which they combine for to take short and waste.
35 – Fires a pass in to Onel Hernandez centrally but Loovens steps up and intercepts.
68 – Robs Nuhiu in midfield and sets Hernandez away on the right, whose low cross is held by Cameron Dawson.
69 – Threads Nelson Oliveira into the right channel and the striker pulls a shot beyond the far post.
75 – Combines with Hernandez and low cross is controlled by Oliveira but completely wasted.
76 – Heads a Pinto cross from the right agonisingly wide.
78 – Can't quite connect with a Pinto cross with his head.
83 – ASSIST – Short corner routine and pass deflects to Klose, who lashes the ball in.
90+2 – Barged over by Forestieri, whips an awful free-kick beyond the far post and head drops in disappointment.
Verdict: Initially peripheral after moving to a more advanced role but was eventually creating City's attacks, with plenty wasted. Certainly worth pursuing a further loan, has clear passing ability but has to realise he won't always have time and space to pick his pass.
Rating: 6 out of 10