View photos from Norwich City’s pulsating 2-2 draw with Championship leaders Newcastle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Carrow Road provided some eventful Valentine's Day entertainment as Norwich City were held to a thrilling 2-2 draw by Championship leaders Newcastle United.
Visiting skipper Jamaal Lascelles spared goalkeeper Karl Darlow's blushes with an 80th-minute equaliser, to deny the Canaries an excellent win.
Lascelles volleyed home at the back post after the hosts had hit back from falling behind to an Ajose Perez goal after just 23 seconds.
Jacob Murphy equalised after 12 minutes before an awful error from Darlow, who miss-kicked a routine clearance, gifted Norwich the lead seven minutes later.
Cameron Jerome will never have scored an easier goal, but Newcastle regrouped and came away with a deserved point to maintain their position at the top of the table, after City failed to deal with an inswinging free-kick from Jonjo Shelvey. The ball finally found its way to Perez, who crossed for Lascelles to volley home at the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Shelvey almost bundled home a late winner, while John Ruddy denied first Perez and then Shelvey in injury-time, but both sides had to settle for a point.
Click the links below for full analysis and reaction
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job