View photos from Norwich City’s pulsating 2-2 draw with Championship leaders Newcastle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Carrow Road provided some eventful Valentine's Day entertainment as Norwich City were held to a thrilling 2-2 draw by Championship leaders Newcastle United.
Visiting skipper Jamaal Lascelles spared goalkeeper Karl Darlow's blushes with an 80th-minute equaliser, to deny the Canaries an excellent win.
Lascelles volleyed home at the back post after the hosts had hit back from falling behind to an Ajose Perez goal after just 23 seconds.
Jacob Murphy equalised after 12 minutes before an awful error from Darlow, who miss-kicked a routine clearance, gifted Norwich the lead seven minutes later.
Cameron Jerome will never have scored an easier goal, but Newcastle regrouped and came away with a deserved point to maintain their position at the top of the table, after City failed to deal with an inswinging free-kick from Jonjo Shelvey. The ball finally found its way to Perez, who crossed for Lascelles to volley home at the far post.
Shelvey almost bundled home a late winner, while John Ruddy denied first Perez and then Shelvey in injury-time, but both sides had to settle for a point.
Click the links below for full analysis and reaction
- 1 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 2 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 5 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 6 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 7 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 8 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
- 9 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 10 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man