Video: Ricky van Wolfswinkel on target in Norwich City’s 2-0 development win over Leicester City
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Ricky van Wolfswinkel scored in front of the watching Alex Neil as Norwich City's development squad beat Leicester City's Under-21s 2-0 at Colney on Monday afternoon.
Van Wolfswinkel slotted a close range second-half goal after pouncing on a errant back pass to seal the victory, after Vadis Odjidja had scored prior to the interval.
The duo were included as over-age outfield players in a strong-looking home side which also featured the likes of Liverpool loanee Andre Wisdom, Josh Murphy and Harry Toffolo.
New summer signing Jake Kean also made an appearance and the former Blackburn keeper denied Jacob Blyth on numerous occasions in a competitive work-out in front of Neil and his coaching staff.
Van Wolfswinkel span away down the right in the 14th minute before picking out Jamar Loza who lashed over from 14 yards.
Toffolo and Odjidja then combined for the Dutchman but his snap header was gathered by John Maddison in a bright start from the striker.
The Belgian international then whipped in another inviting cross headed clear by Ryan Watson before Murphy's deflected hit spun through to Maddison. Callum Elder's near post block foiled van Wolfswinkel shortly afterwards when he looked favourite to attack Wisdom's inviting cross.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 4 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 9 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 10 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
Afolabi Coker was fortunate to escape with an errant back pass in the 32nd minute for the hosts, but Harry Panayiotou sliced wide of Kean's far post.
Murphy then produced a trademark burst and low cross but there were no takers in yellow inside the six yard box.
City finally opened the scoring in the 38th minute when Odjidja raced clear onto Murphy's pass before guiding a right-footed effort past Maddison from 18 yards.
Kean denied Blyth with an acrobatic tip over in the 40th minute after the Leicester forward had risen between Coker and Michee Efete.
Blyth then was left unmarked again seconds later but screwed a follow-up header wide from the edge of the area.
Leicester tried to up the pace after the interval, but Maddison denied Murphy with a sharp stop in the 56th minute when the Norwich midfielder looked to poise to double the hosts' lead.
Odjidja's right-footed swerving effort flew wide from 20 yards with City probing but Kean kept Norwich in front with a brave block to foil Blyth in the 69th minute.
Van Wolfswinkel notched from close range after rounding Maddison following a swift raid down the Norwich right sparked by Reece Hall-Johnson which ended with a a weak back pass from the Foxes' defender towards his keeper anticpated by the striker, who departed before the restart.
Kean renewed personal rivalries with Blyth in the 83rd minute with the same outcome, although the home keeper required treatment after appearing to take the impact in the stomach.
Odjidja cut inside Ben Chilwell in the closing stages only to drag his left-footed shot at Maddison.
• Norwich City U21s: Kean, Wisdom (Hall-Johnson 71), Toffolo, Thompson, Coker, Efete, Odjidja, McGrandles, van Wolfswinkel (Norman 75), Loza (King 61), Murphy. Subs (not used): Killip, Grant.
• Goals: Odjidja (38), van Wolfswinkel (74)
• Booking: Norman (foul on Choudhury, 84)
• Leicester City U21s: Maddison, Sesay, Chilwell, McCourt, Elder, Moore, Doodoo (Choudhury 73), Watson, Blyth, Panayioutou, Fox (Ndukwu 64). Subs (not used): Davis, Smith-Varnam, Stanekvicius.
• Booking: Choudhury (foul on Norman, 84)
• Referee: A Da Costa