Video: Ricky van Wolfswinkel on target in Norwich City’s 2-0 development win over Leicester City
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Ricky van Wolfswinkel scored in front of the watching Alex Neil as Norwich City's development squad beat Leicester City's Under-21s 2-0 at Colney on Monday afternoon.
Van Wolfswinkel slotted a close range second-half goal after pouncing on a errant back pass to seal the victory, after Vadis Odjidja had scored prior to the interval.
The duo were included as over-age outfield players in a strong-looking home side which also featured the likes of Liverpool loanee Andre Wisdom, Josh Murphy and Harry Toffolo.
New summer signing Jake Kean also made an appearance and the former Blackburn keeper denied Jacob Blyth on numerous occasions in a competitive work-out in front of Neil and his coaching staff.
Van Wolfswinkel span away down the right in the 14th minute before picking out Jamar Loza who lashed over from 14 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Toffolo and Odjidja then combined for the Dutchman but his snap header was gathered by John Maddison in a bright start from the striker.
The Belgian international then whipped in another inviting cross headed clear by Ryan Watson before Murphy's deflected hit spun through to Maddison. Callum Elder's near post block foiled van Wolfswinkel shortly afterwards when he looked favourite to attack Wisdom's inviting cross.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
Afolabi Coker was fortunate to escape with an errant back pass in the 32nd minute for the hosts, but Harry Panayiotou sliced wide of Kean's far post.
Murphy then produced a trademark burst and low cross but there were no takers in yellow inside the six yard box.
City finally opened the scoring in the 38th minute when Odjidja raced clear onto Murphy's pass before guiding a right-footed effort past Maddison from 18 yards.
Kean denied Blyth with an acrobatic tip over in the 40th minute after the Leicester forward had risen between Coker and Michee Efete.
Blyth then was left unmarked again seconds later but screwed a follow-up header wide from the edge of the area.
Leicester tried to up the pace after the interval, but Maddison denied Murphy with a sharp stop in the 56th minute when the Norwich midfielder looked to poise to double the hosts' lead.
Odjidja's right-footed swerving effort flew wide from 20 yards with City probing but Kean kept Norwich in front with a brave block to foil Blyth in the 69th minute.
Van Wolfswinkel notched from close range after rounding Maddison following a swift raid down the Norwich right sparked by Reece Hall-Johnson which ended with a a weak back pass from the Foxes' defender towards his keeper anticpated by the striker, who departed before the restart.
Kean renewed personal rivalries with Blyth in the 83rd minute with the same outcome, although the home keeper required treatment after appearing to take the impact in the stomach.
Odjidja cut inside Ben Chilwell in the closing stages only to drag his left-footed shot at Maddison.
• Norwich City U21s: Kean, Wisdom (Hall-Johnson 71), Toffolo, Thompson, Coker, Efete, Odjidja, McGrandles, van Wolfswinkel (Norman 75), Loza (King 61), Murphy. Subs (not used): Killip, Grant.
• Goals: Odjidja (38), van Wolfswinkel (74)
• Booking: Norman (foul on Choudhury, 84)
• Leicester City U21s: Maddison, Sesay, Chilwell, McCourt, Elder, Moore, Doodoo (Choudhury 73), Watson, Blyth, Panayioutou, Fox (Ndukwu 64). Subs (not used): Davis, Smith-Varnam, Stanekvicius.
• Booking: Choudhury (foul on Norman, 84)
• Referee: A Da Costa