VIDEO: Norwich City 0, Leyton Orient 1
Chris Lakey reviews Norwich City's 1-0 defeat at home to Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.
Norwich City's dreadful FA Cup record continued when they were knocked out at the third round stage on home territory by League One side Leyton Orient – with a goal scored by one of their former players.
History repeated itself as Orient won by the same scoreline as their last FA Cup encounter with City at Carrow Road in a third round replay in 1978.
Midfielder Jimmy Smith, on loan at Norwich three seasons ago, scored the only goal after 20 minutes with a header from a cross by Dean Cox.
The Canaries had the lion's share of the play in the second half, but despite three substitutions, they did not do enough to trouble goalkeeper Jamie Jones and Orient defended stoutly to hang on to a hard-earned victory.
A fine save by Jones from Anthony McNamee in stoppage time was as close as City came to taking the tie to a replay.
Less than 24 hours after manager Paul Lambert's statement committing his future to the Canaries in the wake of Burnley's attempt to recruit him as their new boss, the defeat came as a major anti-climax.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 6 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 7 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 8 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 9 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 10 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
It was another swift exit from the competition – the 13th time in 16 seasons that City have failed to get past the third round.