Video: Mike Phelan to remain with Norwich City, new manager Alex Neil confirms
- Credit: James Bass
New manager Alex Neil has confirmed he intends to keep first-team coach Mike Phelan and the club's other current coaches at Norwich City.
The Canaries have today confirmed the appointment of Neil after agreeing terms with Hamilton Academical to sign their player-manager in recent days.
City supporters had been left wondering where that leaves the likes of Phelan, fellow coach Gary Holt and goalkeeper coach Tony Parks, but the 33-year-old says he intends to keep the trio and add his Hamilton assistant, Frankie McAvoy, to the mix.
'I'm looking to bring my first-team coach down, assistant manager Frankie McAvoy, but Mike Phelan, Gary Holt and Tony Parks will certainly be part of the team as well and I'm looking forward to working with them,' Neil told Norwich City TV.
'So, not looking to make wholesale changes, just looking forward to making sure the team can function properly and I'm looking forward to working with them.'
Neil also confirmed he is not planning to continue as a player, focussing only on his job as manager, but added that he may not take charge of tomorrow's match away at league leaders Bournemouth because of a lack of time to prepare.
'I don't think so, I've not had an opportunity to work with the squad or even speak to the squad so far so I'll speak to them this afternoon and Mike (Phelan) and Gary (Holt) have been getting the team ready this week, so I don't want to interfere too much with that because there's a limited period between now and the game,' Neil added.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 3 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 4 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 5 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 6 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 7 How much will Great Yarmouth's new Marina Centre cost?
- 8 Norfolk's landmark vote to curb second homes
- 9 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 10 Roadworks and closures to be aware of in Norfolk this week
'But I'll certainly take the game in and then deal with the squad as of next week.'
Neil is due to speak to the media for the first time as City boss at the club's Colney training centre this lunchtime, check back to this website for more details of the deal throughout the day.