‘We are well in the race, we can do this!’ – Victory over Birmingham boosts belief for City fans
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City got back to winning ways and moved back up to second place in the Championship with a 3-1 win over Birmingham which has topped up promotion beliefs for supporters.
The Canaries pushed into a deserved 3-1 lead before the break, bouncing back from the disappointment of seeing Teemu Pukki's opener – the Finn's 17th goal of a superb individual campaign – cancelled out by the Blues' top scorer Che Adams within a minute.
Mario Vrancic's fine low finish and a Tom Trybull header from an Emi Buendia corner ensured that lapse of concentration was accounted for and put the hosts in firm control at the break.
Vrancic, Todd Cantwell and Onel Hernandez all wasted fine opportunities to wrap up a more comfortable win for Daniel Farke's promotion hopefuls – but it was still enough to end a run of four league matches without a victory.
The success closed the gap on leaders Leeds to a point, who head to Stoke on Saturday afternoon, and back above Sheffield United into second place – who are at Swansea in the day's late kick-off, before heading to Carrow Road next weekend.
You may also want to watch:
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Water outages hit homes across city
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 People released from car after crash closes road
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 'Heartless' fraudster stole from elderly hospital patients
- 9 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 10 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop