Updated rumour mill: Norwich City closing in on York City midfield talent Ben Godfrey
- Credit: Archant
Sources close to York City believe Norwich City are about to sign a teenage midfielder from the League Two club.
The York Press understands that the 17-year-old, who turns 18 tomorrow, will pen a two-and-a-half year deal with the Canaries subject to passing a medical. Both clubs are said to have agreed a six-figure fee for the sale of the player, who has reportedly also been attracting the interest of Middlesbrough, West Brom, Cardiff, Hull City and Barnsley.
York boss Jackie McNamara expects the deal to go through without any hitches.
'Everything has been agreed and sorted now,' he said. 'While we wanted to keep Ben, his mind was made up and we wish him all the best with the next step of his career.'
The York Press claim Norwich had three previous enquiries knocked back for the midfielder, which included the loan of a Norwich player for the rest of the season, but the final package could rise to £1m.
Having made his first-team debut in August, Godfrey has scored one goal in 15 appearances for the Minstermen, with eight of those outings coming from the bench.
He was offered two professional contracts at Bootham Crescent but, having not signed them, the club would have been subject to a tribunal to settle any transfer fee if an agreement could not have been reached.
- 1 Current UK No.1 artist revealed as surprise guest at Latitude Festival
- 2 Fury as fire lantern found just 15 miles from where fire destroyed homes
- 3 Burst water main floods home and causes road to bow
- 4 Ross Kemp celebrates birthday in Norfolk
- 5 Fuel prices fall bringing relief for long-suffering drivers
- 6 Cliff edge caravans will move inland to avoid coastal erosion
- 7 All steam ahead as new café opens at much-loved attraction
- 8 Widow of man who died at city car park welcomes safety changes
- 9 Coastal home with heated pool and sauna on goes up for sale
- 10 Patrols continuing after anti-social behaviour at nature reserve