Updated - Norwich City transfer rumours: City weigh up £5.5m bid for Grant Hanley; Russell Martin on Brighton’s radar
- Credit: PA
Norwich City are monitoring Blackburn's Scottish international centre-back Grant Hanley amid reports the Canaries may launch a £5.5m raid.
The Daily Mail reported on Saturday Norwich have matched a similar bid from Championship rivals Newcastle but the Ewood Park club is holding out for £8m for the rugged defender.
Rovers' chief Owen Coyle, however, after his club's friendly against Morecambe told journalists only Newcastle have made a firm offer but a couple of other clubs are tracking the centre-back.
The Daily Express had earlier reported the Canaries' new first team coach and former Rovers' assistant boss Alan Irvine has flagged up Hanley as a potential recruit, with beaten Championship play-off finalists Sheffield Wednesday also linked. The Express claim allowing Hanley to depart Ewood Park would allow Paul Lambert's replacement, Owen Coyle, to keep hold of fellow centre-back Shane Duffy, who impressed for the Republic of Ireland at Euro 2016.
Meanwhile, Hanley's Scottish team mate Russell Martin is being touted with a potential return to boyhood club Brighton. Martin started his career on the south coast but failed to make the grade.
You may also want to watch:
Football web site, Here is the City, report ex-Norwich boss and Seagulls' chief Chris Hughton is a firm admirer of the long-serving City stalwart. The 30-year-old made 37 appearances for the Canaries last season and captained the side to Championship promotion in May 2015.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes