Turkish test for Norwich City’s development crew
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's Under-21s face a stiff pre-season test on Thursday when they play Turkish 'Super Lig' Gaziantepspor at Silberstadt Arena in the Austrian city of Schwaz (KO 5pm UK).
Alex Neil is expected to attend again after watching the 7-0 romp earlier this week against regional side SV Kirchdorf.
The 'Falcons' finished well adrift of domestic powerhouses Galatasaray and Fenerbahce last season but were four points clear of Caykur Rizespor, where City striker Kyle Lafferty spent the second part of the campaign on loan.
Josh Murphy, Louis Thompson and Jamar Loza get another chance to impress Neil and academy chief Gregg Broughton believes the close ties between the seniors and the development squad bodes well for the future.
'Alex has been very interested from the outset. He talks daily about the players and wants to know how individuals are getting on,' Broughton told the club's official site. 'We had a good conversation about individuals (on Tuesday), and some of those were involved from the start in that game and some will be involved against Gaziantepspor.
You may also want to watch:
'To have the Under-21s this close to the first-team's training camp shows what this club is all about. It's all about progression, and to have eight people travel over from the first-team camp for the first game says a lot. The boys responded and they were very positive about that.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash