Transfer target Jonathan Walters would be “perfect fit” for Norwich City, says Canaries winger Robbie Brady
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Robbie Brady has revealed he is hoping that Stoke City forward Jonathan Walters will be joining him at Norwich City – amid continued speculation on the final day of the summer transfer window.
The Canaries have had bids turned down for Walters in recent weeks but the 31-year-old is reported to be sorting out his future at the Britannia Stadium today.
That follows confirmation from Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill that Walters is being allowed to report for international duty later than his team-mates, while he attempts to straighten out his future at club level.
The former Ipswich Town striker is an international team-mate of Brady and Canaries colleague Wes Hoolahan, both of whom have already reported for duty ahead of Euro 2016 qualifiers in Gibraltar on Friday and at home against Georgia on Monday.
Brady is already preparing for those matches and, speaking to the media today, said: 'I think there are a few hours left and I'll be buzzing if it does happen for him, and if he does end up at our place I'll be over the moon.
'But obviously it's his decision and he's got to sort that out today. I'm sure I'll speak to him later on at some stage and find out all the ins and outs.'
The Merseyside-born former Hull and Wrexham attacker has been capped 32 times by Ireland since making his debut in November 2010 – scoring six goals and featuring in all three of the team's Euro 2012 matches – and Brady is sure Walters would prove successful at Carrow Road.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 4 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
'He's a great lad and he's a great player; he's proven at this level and can score goals. I think the type of player Jon is as well would suit us down to the ground,' Brady said, speaking to Goal.com.
'He's hard working and the quality he can bring is what our manager (Alex Neil) likes and I think Jon would be a perfect fit for us.'
The latest speculation has seen Sky Sports linking Walters with a potential move to Norwich or Leicester City today, as well as one 'unnamed club', if he cannot negotiate the three-year contract he is looking for at Stoke.