Transfer rumours: Winger set to stay at City ‘despite late Championship bid’
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City winger Marley Watkins is set to stay at Carrow Road this window despite January interest – which The Sun claims has included a late bid from Cardiff.
The 27-year-old only joined the Canaries as a free agent in the summer, following the expiry of his contract at Championship rivals Barnsley.
That interest has since subsided and despite falling out of favour with Canaries head coach Daniel Farke a matter of weeks ago, Watkins is set to remain part of his squad.
In fact, the Wales international was offered an olive branch with a late substitute appearance in the 1-0 Championship win at Brentford on Saturday – his first City outing since New Year's Day.
The deadline day picture was muddied somewhat by The Sun's suggestion Watkins had been the subject of a £2m rejected bid from Cardiff, who have already recruited Norwich winger Yanic Wildschut on loan for the rest of the season.
You may also want to watch:
However it is unlikely a genuine bid of such size would have been rejected by the Canaries.
Watkins has scored one Carabao Cup goal in his 22 City appearances this season – foot-noted by a wonderful striker against Brighton in pre-season, a needless red card at Reading and his best impact as a half-time substitute in the comeback home Championship win over Sheffield Wednesday.
The January transfer window closes at 11pm on Wednesday, with the surprising permanent exit of promising young Norwich City academy winger Glenn Middleton to Rangers the opening piece of business.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 6 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 7 New landlords hope to serve up Thai food in suburban pub
- 8 Full-back signs for Burnley after Canaries release
- 9 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 10 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…