Tony Andreu blossoms as Norwich City toil
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City loanee Tony Andreu has plenty to look forward to in 2017 at Dundee United.
Andreu's parent club continue to toil in the Championship after losing eight league games in the last 10 but the attacking midfielder is a key figure in the Tangerines Scottish Championship promotion bid. The 28-year-old has been a revelation at Tannadice since joining on a season-long loan, scoring 12 goals in 18 appearances for table-topping United ahead of Saturday's New Year's Eve trip to Dumbarton. Andreu was Alex Neil's first Norwich signing after the duo previously inspired Hamilton to promotion from the Scottish second tier and the midfielder is aiming for a repeat.
'It feels very good to be top of the league,' he said. 'When I arrived the gaffer said 'we'll see where we are at Christmas'. I think then we were sixth in the table so, obviously, it's great to be in this position. Now, though, we're going to get the pressure every game to match the result of Hibs. It's a good feeling, though. I'm very happy to be here. The atmosphere around the group is great, there is a good chemistry, so I'm really enjoying my time here. Obviously, when you win and you have a good spell like what we're in, it keeps you going forward and being positive. You can see in all the players when they come off the bench they are playing for the team and that's always important.'
United go into the final game of 2016 at Dumbarton two points clear of Grant Holt's Hibs after a hard-fought win over St Mirren.
'It's tough there, always tough. They are going to fight and we need to respond,' he told the Dundee Evening Telegraph. 'We're confident we can win even when we don't play very well. That was the case against St Mirren.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 Man and woman found dead in home
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 10 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'