‘Everyone is now awake that we have to fight’ – Midfielder glad for a reality check
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Tom Trybull is glad that Norwich City's phoney war is over and attention can finally focus on the big Championship kick-off.
Trybull was a starter in the Canaries' 1-0 defeat at League One Charlton, the final friendly of City's pre-season schedule and a performance that shouldn't let anyone get too carried away about Norwich's chances next season.
'I'm happy that we are done now, that the real life is starting next week and it's Championship football – I'm really looking forward to this,' said Trybull.
'It's different if you play in a pre-season friendly, comparing them to the Championship challenge every week. But that is a good sign here, that we had a loss – because I think everyone is now awake that we have to fight for each and every point in the Championship.'
Pre-season 12 months ago the Canaries earned a 2-0 win at The Valley – James Husband was the only player to start that game, as well as Saturday's friendly on the same pitch.
That underlines the continuing turnover of players at City – and Trybull is sure the fresh competition, especially in midfield, will help raise their game next season.
'The boss has a lot of options in midfield and that is good for the squad, I think,' said Trybull. 'It makes everybody better to have that competition between the squad.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 4 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 5 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 6 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 9 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 10 Jailed in Norfolk: Flytippers and paedophiles
'But it's a long season with a lot of games and we will need each and every player. That's important for us, especially for the coach who has a lot of options.
'Those who have come in are really good guys and I think they will help us a lot. But everybody needs time and I can't say anything about how things will go because next weekend we start Championship football – that's the most important thing.
'But I'm sure through the season everyone will give his best and help us. One player may be in a little quicker, another may need longer time – but that is normal in football.
'Stuart Webber and the coach, they did a good job and have brought in some good players.'
Trybull added: 'I don't think there will be a big difference next season in comparison to last, because he (Farke) still has the same philosophy and the same way of playing football. It is up to us to show this on a weekend.'
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…