Norwich City fans rally round Todd Cantwell after he talks of criticism
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Canaries fans have rallied round one of Norwich City's homegrown stars after he spoke out about negative comments he has faced as a footballer.
Dereham-born midfielder Todd Cantwell said he had been accused of being 'cocky' and 'no good' at football ever since he was a little boy.
But the 20-year-old's comments, posted on Twitter on Tuesday, prompted a huge response from City fans and other players who responded to support him.
Mr Cantwell said: 'Since I was a little boy enjoying football, [people said] 'he thinks he's better than he is', 'look how cocky he is', he's not even good at football'.
'Best advise I gave myself - They want you to fail, they want you to give up, to any player at any age, remember why you started.'
You may also want to watch:
More than 80 people responded to his post, which also attracted 1,500 likes.
Twitter user David 'Spud' Thornhill said: 'Just remember the haters will always hate. 'They are a minority. When intelligent football people like @hucks6dh6 and most importantly Daniel Farke believe in you, that is the most important thing. You keep believe and you'll keep achieving.'
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 3 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 4 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 5 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 6 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 7 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
Twitter user @jasonstanton0 added: 'Never in doubt that you'd make it mate... Even at 8 years old you stood out...and confidence and self-belief is always seen as arrogance or cockiness by people who dont know football...enjoy every moment Todd you've sacrificed your youth to get where you are now.'
Mr Cantwell also received responses from current and former Norwich City players - although these were mostly reserved to emojis.
City fan James Frost said: 'Well said mate you're done really well this season I'm big fans your even when you was coming through academy it been great to see come through to first team & for your first season done really well getting goals assists your done all us fans proud keep up good work OTBC.'
Stuart Tebbutt added: 'Anyone with any football knowledge can see you have the ability, quality and desire.'
Kevin Borrett said: 'Just had this same chat with my lad tonight because of 'bigger boys'.
'My boy will love this from you especially after you were kind enough to give him your shirt at Luton. This is social media at its best!! #inspirational'