Toby Alderweireld plans to take his time deciding his future
- Credit: PA
Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld has told Norwich City he needs more time to mull over a move to Carrow Road.
Ajax are looking to offload the 24-year-old, who has just a year left on his contract at the Amsterdam Arena, but Alderweireld has informed the Canaries he will not rush into making a decision on his future.
Liverpool and Tottenham have also declared an interest in the Belgium international in the past but are yet to follow this up with a firm bid. Alderweireld has also suggested he could see out the remaining 12 months on his contract and leave for a free next summer.
'I am still at Ajax and I am happy here, maybe I will stay for a year,' he told Dutch television station, AT5. 'With every bid that comes, I see if it is good for me. Whether I will stay or not is something we'll have to see about.
'I'm not saying 'no' in advance to Norwich, but I am certainly not saying 'yes' immediately. Maybe I will stay a year, which could be for the best. The overall picture has to be right for me. Maybe that will be Norwich City or any other club.'
You may also want to watch:
While Alderweireld keeps his options open. Ola Toivonen has apparently rejected a move to Carrow Road. City had a £4.8m offer accepted by PSV earlier this summer with the forward also having just a year left to run on his contract.
However, the Sweden international wants to see if a bigger club comes in for his services despite the threat from PSV he could be banished to the reserves if he doesn't sign a new deal or move on.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
Meanwhile, there are claims from Holland that Norwich will confirm the signing of Leroy Fer later today for about £4.3m after undergoing a medical. The 23-year-old is then expected to go with the Canaries on their pre-season tour of the US next week.
And Italian website Tutto Mercato has suggested City are trying to pull off a major coup by signing 30-year-old Italian striker Fabio Quagliarella from Juventus.