Three new U23 signings confirmed alongside pro deals for City prospects
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Norwich City have announced three signings for their under-23 squad, alongside confirmations of professional deals for five other young hopefuls.
Republic of Ireland U18 striker Adam Idah and fellow forward Anthony Spyrou have signed pro terms having helped City's U18s to reach the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals last season.
Last season's U18 skipper Alfie Payne, fellow midfielder Atli Barkarson and centre-back Louis Lomas have also signed their first pro deals, with nine U18 scholars also announced.
They will be joined in the U23s this season by ex-Everton U18 captain Tom Scully, a midfielder who spent time on trial last season, as well as two 19-year-olds, former Luton defender Ciaren Jones and former Blackpool defender Caleb Richards.
Richards made a brief League Cup debut appearance for Blackpool last season and impressed in a Checkatrade Trophy win over Middlesbrough U21s, playing at right-back.
You may also want to watch:
The players were all congratulated by majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones, as well as sporting director Stuart Webber and U23s boss Matt Gill at Carrow Road on Friday night.
'It's a nice occasion for everyone involved: the families, the lads and for Delia and Michael to meet them,' academy manager Steve Weaver told City's website.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
'You don't get too many owners of a football club coming to events like these. It shows how important the academy is to Delia and Michael.
'It's an exciting time for all the young lads. Since myself and Stuart have been here, we've shown we want to push lads on pretty quick. We have a lot of young lads playing for the under-23s and a lot of under-16s playing up in the under-18s team.
'We also have lads going out on loan and we've also had a couple of new faces coming in. So it's a exciting time for the academy.'
Pro contracts: Atli Barkarson, Adam Idah, Ciaren Jones, Louis Lomas, Alfie Payne, Thomas Scully, Anthony Spyrou, Caleb Richards
First-year scholarships: Arash Ahmadi, Anthonius Berkeley, Zach Dronfield, Josh Giurgi, Spencer Keller, Denzelle Olopade, Andrew Omobamidele, Matthew Richardson, Ethen Vaughan