Three new U23 signings confirmed alongside pro deals for City prospects
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Norwich City have announced three signings for their under-23 squad, alongside confirmations of professional deals for five other young hopefuls.
Republic of Ireland U18 striker Adam Idah and fellow forward Anthony Spyrou have signed pro terms having helped City's U18s to reach the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals last season.
Last season's U18 skipper Alfie Payne, fellow midfielder Atli Barkarson and centre-back Louis Lomas have also signed their first pro deals, with nine U18 scholars also announced.
They will be joined in the U23s this season by ex-Everton U18 captain Tom Scully, a midfielder who spent time on trial last season, as well as two 19-year-olds, former Luton defender Ciaren Jones and former Blackpool defender Caleb Richards.
Richards made a brief League Cup debut appearance for Blackpool last season and impressed in a Checkatrade Trophy win over Middlesbrough U21s, playing at right-back.
You may also want to watch:
The players were all congratulated by majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones, as well as sporting director Stuart Webber and U23s boss Matt Gill at Carrow Road on Friday night.
'It's a nice occasion for everyone involved: the families, the lads and for Delia and Michael to meet them,' academy manager Steve Weaver told City's website.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
'You don't get too many owners of a football club coming to events like these. It shows how important the academy is to Delia and Michael.
'It's an exciting time for all the young lads. Since myself and Stuart have been here, we've shown we want to push lads on pretty quick. We have a lot of young lads playing for the under-23s and a lot of under-16s playing up in the under-18s team.
'We also have lads going out on loan and we've also had a couple of new faces coming in. So it's a exciting time for the academy.'
Pro contracts: Atli Barkarson, Adam Idah, Ciaren Jones, Louis Lomas, Alfie Payne, Thomas Scully, Anthony Spyrou, Caleb Richards
First-year scholarships: Arash Ahmadi, Anthonius Berkeley, Zach Dronfield, Josh Giurgi, Spencer Keller, Denzelle Olopade, Andrew Omobamidele, Matthew Richardson, Ethen Vaughan