Three more legends added to City squad for Carrow Road exhibition against Inter Forever
- Credit: Archant
Three more members of Norwich City's 1993/94 Uefa Cup squad have been added to the Canaries Legends team which will be facing Inter Forever at Carrow Road in May.
Mark Bowen, Rob Newman, and John Polston each wore the captain's armband during their Norwich careers and played vital roles during the club's run to the third round of the UEFA Cup in 1993.
The trio sit in the top 40 of the club's all-time appearances list and will be introduced to the crowd before Sunday's East Anglian derby at Carrow Road.
The match against Inter Forever, supported by the club's community partner Aviva, takes place on Sunday, May 20 (2pm KO) and will mark 25 years since Mike Walker's team made their mark in Europe with a run that included victory over Bayern Munich.
The latest additions to the Norwich squad join their former team-mates Bryan Gunn and Chris Sutton, as well as other club legends Iwan Roberts, Grant Holt, Adam Drury, and Darren Huckerby, for the match, which will raise funds for the Community Sports Foundation's new hub The Nest.
You may also want to watch:
Already confirmed to appear for Inter Forever are keeper Francesco Toldo, Javier Zanetti, World Cup winner Marco Materazzi, and 1993 squad member Nicola Berti.
Bowen famously scored a header in the 2-1 win against Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in the 1993 UEFA Cup run. With 399 appearances, he sits ninth in City's all-time appearances list.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 5 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 9 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
Newman made 249 appearances for the Canaries and captained the City side that played in the San Siro against Inter Milan, being beaten 1-0 by a Dennis Bergkamp penalty.
Polston played 263 times for the Canaries and was an important member of the team that finished third in the top flight in the 1992/93 season. He was captain in the club's first ever UEFA Cup tie, in 1993, scoring one of the goals in a 3-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem.
Norwich Legends confirmed: Bryan Gunn, Darren Huckerby, Adam Drury, Chris Sutton, Iwan Roberts, Grant Holt, Mark Bowen, Rob Newman, John Polston
Inter Forever confirmed: Francesco Toldo, Javier Zanetti, Nicola Berti, Marco Materazzi
• Tickets are priced at £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s, with hospitality packages also available and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
To find out more about The Nest, go to thenest.org.uk