Three-man shortlist sees Norwich City narrow search for manager; Neil Warnock an unlikely fit
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have only a narrow shortlist of candidates for their next manager – but it remains to be seen when their new man will be in place.
It is understood that just three names feature on the Canaries' list of managerial contenders they are pursuing, in their search to replace Neil Adams, following his resignation on Monday.
City made a point of 'scouring Europe' for their full-time successor to Chris Hughton in the aftermath of top-flight relegation in May.
This time, chief executive David McNally is believed to have been given the green light to lead the board's search for the right man to fill Adams' shoes – and steer City back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.
And that may yet prove to be Mike Phelan, who is on the City shortlist and remains in temporary charge of first-team affairs while Norwich continue their search.
• Check out part two of Monday's Mustard News for Sport Extra – and our initial reaction to the news of Neil Adams' resignation as Norwich City manager
The first-team coach is also still the considerable favourite for the job with bookmakers – and may yet be the man in charge for City's crunch Championship clash at leaders Bournemouth on Saturday.
Reports have suggested the Canaries are keen on making their appointment in time for the weekend trip to the Cherries – however, it is a deadline the club is unlikely to stick too if it proves detrimental to their search.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 8 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 10 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
Either way, while hoping Adams' tenure would ultimately prove to be a success, it seems likely the Canaries' board had been considering what would need to happen if things did not pan out as they had wanted.
One man understood not to be currently in the running for the Carrow Road vacancy is former Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock, pictured below, who has received no contact from the Canaries while at his home in Cornwall. Warnock was sacked by the Premier League strugglers just before the turn of the year.
Gianfranco Zola, who was spoken to by City over their summer vacancy, is also unlikely to feature in the running this time. He took charge of Italian Serie A side Cagliari on Christmas Eve.
• Latest betting (as of Wednesday morning): Mike Phelan 1-2, Tim Sherwood 3-1, Oscar Garcia 8-1, Karl Robinson 12-1, Roy Keane 14-1, Uwe Rosler 16-1, Alan Stubbs 20-1, Brian McDermott 20-1, Nigel Adkins 25-1, Stuart McCall 25-1. Source: SkyBet. • Follow Michael Bailey on Twitter @michaeljbailey