Thompson returns as City U23s hit back twice to draw with Spurs side including £17m Dutch international
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Louis Thompson brought an end to his two-month injury absence with 60 minutes during a 2-2 draw with Tottenham at Colney for Norwich City Under-23s.
The 24-year-old midfielder needed surgery on a dislocated shoulder picked up during first-team action in October and stepped up his recovery on Friday afternoon during a Premier League International Cup group stage game.
He wasn't the only over-age player featuring though, with Spurs playing Holland international striker Vincent Janssen, signed from AZ Alkmaar for £17million in 2016 but out of favour with the Premier League giants.
Janssen teed up Tashan Oakley-Boothe for Spurs' opener in the 37th minute but within two minutes City striker Adam Idah had turned home a Louis Lomas cross. Canaries keeper Aston Oxborough denied Janssen in the 61st minute but the Dutchman teed up Jack Roles to reclaim the lead soon after.
Spurs keeper Brandon Austin denied Isak Thorvaldsson in the 70th minute but the Icelandic midfielder scrambled in 10 minutes later, with Austin hurt in the process and eventually taken off on a stretcher after a 14-minute stoppage, with neither team able to force a winner when play resumed.
You may also want to watch:
The draw means Norwich miss out on a place in the knockout stages, after a 3-0 defeat to Athletic Bilbao B and 2-2 draw with Wolfsburg II at Carrow Road earlier in the season.
David Wright's development squad are due to be back in action at Colney on Monday, when they host Leicester in the Premier League Cup group stages (7pm kick-off).
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 6 Water outages hit homes across city
- 7 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 8 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 9 People released from car after crash closes road
- 10 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
Norwich: Oxborough; Kamal, Lomas, Jones, Richards; Milovanovic (Payne 60), Thompson (Scully 60); Thorvaldsson, Spyrou, Coley; Idah. Unused subs: McCraken (GK), Omobamidele