Thetford Town prepare to host Norwich City U21s in Norfolk Senior Cup
Norwich City Under-21s travel to Thetford Town in the fourth round of the Norfolk Senior Cup this evening.
No senior players are expected to be in action for the Canaries but some of the club's FA Youth Cup winning team of 2013, such as Carlton Morris, Cameron McGeehan and Reece Hall-Johnson, are expected to be involved.
The Brecklanders had made a decent start to the season but have slipped to 15th position in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division.
Saturday's 4-0 home loss to reigning champions Hadleigh United left Thetford without a win in six league games, conceding 19 goals in the process.
But manager Mark Scott hopes the prestige of a tie against the Canaries will inspire his team to better things, with the south Norfolk club hoping for a crowd to threaten their record attendance of 394 from a game against local rivals Diss in 1991.
You may also want to watch:
'We're struggling a little bit at the moment and need to get back on track so this is an opportunity for our players to relax and try to enjoy the game,' said Scott.
'We've conceded an awful lot of goals of late and when up against such quality of opposition, there can be that fear factor that they could humiliate us a bit.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
'But there's plenty of interest around the town so hopefully we'll have a decent turnout and hopefully we'll be able to rise to the occasion and put in a decent performance.'
City will be without striker Cameron King, who is from the Thetford area, as he is away on Scotland Under-21s duty.
Tickets for the game, which will kick-off at 7.45pm, will be available on the gate at Mundford Road and are priced at £6 for adults and £3 for under-16s.
• The Canaries have moved their U21s' game against Liverpool next month to Carrow Road, in the hope of another big crowd in support of the club's development side.
A new Barclays U21 Premier League record was set when 10,405 people attended Carrow Road for City's 3-1 win against Tottenham's U21s in mid-October.
Tickets will again be free for the game against Liverpool, on Wednesday, December 17, and are available from canaries.co.uk, by calling 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.