Switzerland boss urged Timm Klose to leave Norwich City during transfer window
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City defender Timm Klose has revealed that his international boss Vladimir Petkovic had urged him to leave the Canaries following relegation from the Premier League last season.
The 28-year-old is away with his country ahead of a World Cup qualifier against European champions Portugal on Tuesday evening.
Klose has been recalled having missed out on Euro 2016 due to a knee injury, which also saw him miss the final five matches of City's unsuccessful relegation battle.
'I know where I stand at the moment,' Klose told Swiss broadcaster SRF. 'Coach Vladimir Petkovic strongly recommended I change clubs if possible.
'I'm ready to fight to reach my goals and then we'll see what's possible in the national team.'
You may also want to watch:
The Germany-born defender, signed from Wolfsburg for £7.6million in January, was linked with a move to West Brom in the closing weeks of the transfer window.
He admitted that Norwich were in control of his situation though, having signed a contract through until the summer of 2019.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
'If the club is going to be stubborn, I don't have a chance,' he continued. 'Of course I'm disappointed, but I'll have to accept it.
'I've had a good time in Norwich so far and I'll try to keep that going.
'The best thing would be the club's promotion back to the Premier League in summer. I'm no longer a 23-year-old who can say I've got plenty of time. I've set high goals for myself and I want to reach them.'
Klose also accepts he faces a battle to add to his 15 Switzerland caps, even if Portugal will be without star player Cristiano Ronaldo.
'Johan Djourou and Fabian Schär played well in the Euros and Nico Elvedi is doing really well at Mönchengladbach,' he added. 'It is a higher level now than when I played.'