Swansea City 3, Norwich City 0

Norwich City's hold on second place in the Championship was cut to a single point as their nine-match unbeaten run came to an end at the Liberty Stadium.

Superb first-half goals from Fabio Borini and Mark Gower gave Swansea City an interval advantage in the day's televised late kick-off.

And substitute Tamas Priskin wrapped up the victory in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Swansea's victory – and that of Cardiff City at Doncaster earlier in the day – put both Welsh clubs within a point of the Canaries with six matches to go.

It was only the third defeat in 26 Championship games for Paul Lambert's men - in fact since the road to South Wales proved similarly fruitless at Cardiff at the end of October.

City, who were without the injured Wes Hoolahan, must now pick themselves up for Tuesday night's trip to Watford.

The Swans took a fifth-minute lead when Borini curled in a superb free-kick, and they doubled their advantage on 29 minutes when Gower drilled an unstoppable effort past John Ruddy after the 'keeper had saved from Angel Rangel.

Most Read

A fine save from Ruddy stopped Borini making it 3-0 before the interval.

City skipper Grant Holt missed good chances at the start of each half and substitute Korey Smith was denied by a splendid double save by goalkeeper Dorus De Vries, but despite a much better second-half performance, the Canaries were for once unable to find a way through.

Priskin's goal merely completed a miserable afternoon for City, but the game was up by then.

City boss Lambert made one change to the team that started the 6-0 win over Scunthorpe with Hoolahan ruled out by a hamstring injury and replaced by Henri Lansbury.

Striker Simeon Jackson had to settle for a place on the bench despite his second-half hat-trick against the Iron, while Anthony McNamee was recalled as the extra substitute.

Swansea welcomed back right-back Angel Rangel after a stomach bug and striker Stephen Dobbie after a back spasm, with Alan Tate and Darren Pratley relegated to the bench after the 2-1 defeat at Preston.

Cardiff's 3-1 victory at Doncaster closed the gap on the second-placed Canaries to one point before kick-off.

City were backed by 2,000 noisy travelling fans behind John Ruddy's goal as the game kicked off in sunny conditions, though three quarters of the pitch was in shade.

Surman pushed forward immediately for the Canaries, only for his progress to be halted by Monk, and with just a minute gone, Swansea threatened when Dobbie was played into a shooting position by Dyer after a throw-in on the right and his powerful shot struck Ward.

In the fourth minute, City looked set to take the lead when Fox found Pacheco inside the Swansea area but his shot was beaten away by De Vries and although the rebound fell invitingly for Holt, his follow-up on the bounce lacked power and was grabbed by the grateful keeper.

City were made to pay for that miss in the fifth minute when Borini gave Swansea the lead.

A foul by Whitbread just outside the Norwich area gave the Swans a free-kick and Borini stepped up to curl a well-placed right-foot shot over the wall and past Ruddy to the keeper's right.

Holt had another half-chance after nine minutes when Crofts cashed in on a collision between two Swansea players and sent his skipper away on the right, but Holt's shot from an awkward angle was safely gathered by De Vries as he dived to his right.

Ward made an important interception from Rangel's cross as Swansea threatened again, then Dyer set up Dobbie for what proved to be a wild effort over the bar.

With 17 minutes gone, Sinclair got away from Russell Martin on halfway and Ward, coming across to cover, brought the Swansea man down to earn his ninth yellow card of the season.

Surman had a bouncing effort blocked by Williams as City tried to find a way through and a neat passing move on the edge of the Swansea area ended with Holt swinging a left-foot shot across goal and just wide after a pass from Surman.

Holt headed into the side netting from Russell Martin's cross midway through the half after another slick passing move.

City were given a Welsh mountain to climb in the 29th minute when Swansea moved 2-0 ahead with a stunning goal by Gower.

The Canaries were exposed on the left side of defence as Rangel advanced to strike a powerful shot that Ruddy managed to beat away, but his team-mates were unable to get the ball away and Surman's sliced attempt to clear fell to Gower came, who beat the keeper with a venomous right-foot shot from outside the area.

Norwich were looking rattled – a rare sight this season - and only a timely block by Tierney and, moments later, a vital punch by Ruddy stopped Dyer making their plight worse.

Four minutes before the break, it looked certain to be 3-0 as Borini went through, but Ruddy pulled off a great save at point-blank range.

City won their first corner in the last minute of the half and Surman's kick drifted across the box to Lansbury but he was quickly closed down.

In first half stoppage time, Whitbread made a crucial interception to stop Rangel's cross causing more havoc.

• HALF-TIME: Swansea City 2, Norwich City 0

Lambert made a change at the break with an extra striker, Jackson, replacing Surman.

City should have pulled a goal back in the first minute of the second period as Holt won a free-kick on the left but the skipper, given a free header by Pacheco's kick, managed to put it wide.

Lansbury won a corner in the fourth minute of the half when his shot was squirted wide via a deflection. Fox's kick reached Crofts but his diving header was blocked.

A foul by Tierney on Dyer earned him a booking five minutes after the break and Whitbread cleared the resulting free-kick at the expense of a corner.

The flag-kick was cleared and Dyer sent a follow-up shot high into the crowd.

A foul by Gower halted Jackson's progress at the expense of a free-kick but he escaped a yellow card.

With 56 minutes gone, Crofts was not too far away from pulling a goal back with w well-struck half-volley that whizzed wide after Tierney's forward run had created the chance.

Priskin replaced Dobbie for Swansea after 58 minutes and was soon into the action, his cross-shot saved by Ruddy after Dyer had caught Lansbury in possession.

City were enjoying much greater possession but too often the final ball let them down and one fine run by Pacheco was in vain as Tierney delivered a poor cross.

Crofts tried to create space for a shot just inside the Swansea area but his delicate chip did not trouble De Vries.

Lambert made a double change with 25 minutes left when Pacheco and Crofts were withdrawn and replaced by Vokes and Korey Smith.

Sinclair brought Ruddy into action when he cut in from the left touchline and struck a curling effort but the 'keeper was right behind it.

Substitute Smith was unlucky not to reduced the arrears in the 72nd minute when he was denied by a splendid double save by De Vries, who not only kept up his powerful first shot but blocked the midfielder's follow-up.

De Vries called for attention afterwards but the time wasted did not endear him to the City players or travelling fans.

A cross from Holt forced Williams into a wild sliced clearance but the corner from Fox was bundled away.

Jackson then sliced a wild effort into the crowd as City continued to press.

Priskin tested Ruddy again after getting the better of Whitbread but the keeper dived to his left to concede a corner with a well-judged save. The kick was played short and Rangel's long-range effort took a deflection and flew just wide with the home crowd ready to celebrate a third goal.

Vokes got his head to a cross from Lansbury but his header lacked the power to trouble De Vries.

With 11 minutes to go, Swansea made a double change with goalscorer Borini and Dyer making way for Britton and Tate.

Priskin produced a more ambitious shot from the corner of the penalty area as the Swans looked to make the game safe and it flashed across the face of goal.

There was an angry exchange between Lansbury and Priskin just before the game went into four minutes of stoppage time, referee Bates stepping in to break up the row.

Seconds from the end of stoppage time, Priskin made it 3-0 when Whitbread's backpass fell short of Ruddy and as the keeper slid out to try to clear, the ball ran loose for the substitute to knock it into an empty net.

• RESULT: Swansea City 3, Norwich City 0

• Swansea City – De Vries; Rangel, Monk, Williams, Taylor; Dyer (Tate, 79), Allen, Gower, Sinclair; Dobbie (Priskin, 58); Borini (Britton, 79).

Subs (not used): Ma-kalambay, Pratley, Beattie, Moore.

• Norwich City: Ruddy; Russell Martin, Ward, Whitbread, Tierney; Fox; Crofts (Korey Smith, 65), Surman (Jackson, 45); Lansbury; Holt, Pacheco (Vokes, 65).

Subs (not used): Rudd, Edwards, Lappin, McNamee.

• Referee: Tony Bates (Staffordshire)

• Attendance: 19,094

• Goals: Swansea: Borini (5), Gower (29), Priskin (90)

• Bookings: Norwich: Ward (17), Tierney (50)