‘It was definitely my best one’ – Superb strike is Murphy’s best yet for City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Josh Murphy thinks his Villa thunderbolt was his best effort yet for Norwich City, after a sublime goal-of-the-season contender breathed fresh life around Carrow Road.
Murphy was the star man as Daniel Farke's team beat Aston Villa 3-1 to bounce back from successive defeats and reignite hopes of a brighter conclusion to a disappointing campaign.
'It was probably the best,' the 23-year-old winger said. 'It was a weird one because it was right at the end of the half and to put us 1-0 up was a great feeling. We battled well out there and it was just about trying to get that first goal.
'That was some way to get the first goal so I was buzzing and I think the whole team was.'
The 25-yard super-strike took Murphy's goal tally for the season to 10, six of which have come in the league, and 19 in 103 matches overall for the academy product.
You may also want to watch:
Among those were a debut bullet at Watford back in 2013, a similar effort after cutting in from the right wing at Everton last season and a fine solo finish at Arsenal earlier in the current campaign – all of which came away from home in the League Cup.
So finding the top-left corner in front of the Barclay felt that little bit sweeter for Murphy.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 8 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 9 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 10 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
'It felt good. I did it at Everton last season and I've tried it a few times this season but the goalie has pulled off a good save or it's ended up in row Z or something like that,' he added.
'So for it to go in the net and put us 1-0 up, it was just a great relief. It was definitely my best one.'