‘It was definitely my best one’ – Superb strike is Murphy’s best yet for City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Josh Murphy thinks his Villa thunderbolt was his best effort yet for Norwich City, after a sublime goal-of-the-season contender breathed fresh life around Carrow Road.
Murphy was the star man as Daniel Farke's team beat Aston Villa 3-1 to bounce back from successive defeats and reignite hopes of a brighter conclusion to a disappointing campaign.
'It was probably the best,' the 23-year-old winger said. 'It was a weird one because it was right at the end of the half and to put us 1-0 up was a great feeling. We battled well out there and it was just about trying to get that first goal.
'That was some way to get the first goal so I was buzzing and I think the whole team was.'
The 25-yard super-strike took Murphy's goal tally for the season to 10, six of which have come in the league, and 19 in 103 matches overall for the academy product.
You may also want to watch:
Among those were a debut bullet at Watford back in 2013, a similar effort after cutting in from the right wing at Everton last season and a fine solo finish at Arsenal earlier in the current campaign – all of which came away from home in the League Cup.
So finding the top-left corner in front of the Barclay felt that little bit sweeter for Murphy.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 7 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 8 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 First patients receive Covid jabs at Norfolk's new mass vaccination centre
'It felt good. I did it at Everton last season and I've tried it a few times this season but the goalie has pulled off a good save or it's ended up in row Z or something like that,' he added.
'So for it to go in the net and put us 1-0 up, it was just a great relief. It was definitely my best one.'