‘It was definitely my best one’ – Superb strike is Murphy’s best yet for City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Josh Murphy thinks his Villa thunderbolt was his best effort yet for Norwich City, after a sublime goal-of-the-season contender breathed fresh life around Carrow Road.
Murphy was the star man as Daniel Farke's team beat Aston Villa 3-1 to bounce back from successive defeats and reignite hopes of a brighter conclusion to a disappointing campaign.
'It was probably the best,' the 23-year-old winger said. 'It was a weird one because it was right at the end of the half and to put us 1-0 up was a great feeling. We battled well out there and it was just about trying to get that first goal.
'That was some way to get the first goal so I was buzzing and I think the whole team was.'
The 25-yard super-strike took Murphy's goal tally for the season to 10, six of which have come in the league, and 19 in 103 matches overall for the academy product.
You may also want to watch:
Among those were a debut bullet at Watford back in 2013, a similar effort after cutting in from the right wing at Everton last season and a fine solo finish at Arsenal earlier in the current campaign – all of which came away from home in the League Cup.
So finding the top-left corner in front of the Barclay felt that little bit sweeter for Murphy.
- 1 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 2 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 3 Major boost for £100m campaign to reintroduce rail travel between two Norfolk towns
- 4 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 5 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
- 6 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 7 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 8 How close is Norfolk to tier 1?
- 9 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 10 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
'It felt good. I did it at Everton last season and I've tried it a few times this season but the goalie has pulled off a good save or it's ended up in row Z or something like that,' he added.
'So for it to go in the net and put us 1-0 up, it was just a great relief. It was definitely my best one.'