Stunning win at Goodison for Norwich Under-23s
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Everton Under-23s 1 Norwich City Under-23s 4
Norwich City recorded their second impressive cup win of the season at Goodison Park on Friday evening.
The Under-23s followed up the first team's 2-0 success in the EFL Cup in September with an excellent 4-1 triumph in their second pool game in the Premier League Cup.
The young Canaries had to withstand plenty of Everton pressure in the first half but held firm before taking the lead through Louis McIntosh.
Diallang Jaiyesimi and Glenn Middleton then extended the visitors' advantage before David Henen was dismissed for a second bookable offence. Calum Dyson pulled one back for the Toffees but the visitors had the final say as Todd Cantwell scored in the dying minutes to complete a memorable Norwich win.
You may also want to watch:
A visiting team made up entirely of young players, with only Ben Godfrey having any first team experience, did well to keep Everton at bay in the opening period but had chances themselves, with Cantwell hitting the woodwork before McIntosh's shot from a Jaiyesimi pass crept in a minute before the interval.
The Canaries doubled their lead on 63 minutes when Jaiyesimi cut in from the right flank and curled a shot into the far corner and made it 3-0 two minutes later when Middleton tapped home at a corner. Henen then saw red before the Blues reduced the arrears on 86 minutes after Antonee Robinson pulled the ball back and Dyson steered it into the bottom corner. But Norwich made their extra man count at the death when Cantwell converted from close range.
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 6 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 7 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
- 8 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 9 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 10 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
Following an opening 0-0 draw with Portsmouth City are now well placed to progress in the competition, with a game against Wolves to come.
City starting line-up: Killip, Efete, Godfrey, Crowe, Ramsay, Jaiyesimi, Adams, Grant, Middleton, Cantwell, McIntosh.