Striker hunt must be Norwich City’s priority
- Credit: © ARCHANT NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHIC
Norwich City must push the boat out to recruit the striker to fire them back to the Premier League, insists prolific Canaries' old boy Jamie Cureton.
The 40-year-old, currently looking for the 11th professional club of a career that has seen him score more than 260 league goals, knows what it will take for Alex Neil's men to seal Championship promotion.
Cameron Jerome has signed a new longer term deal but with the futures of Kyle Lafferty and Ricky van Wolfswinkel up for discussion, Cureton insists it is vital Neil attracts a top quality operator.
'I would imagine he will bring in a forward. You can't just rely on Jerome, you are going to have others who can score,' he said. 'They won't have an issue in attracting players but it is about getting the right ones and doing your homework and finding a forward who perhaps not only can get them up, but get them 10 in the Premier League. They should look to sign someone who might cost some money that can definitely get 20 in the Championship and if we go up then we have someone who can guarantee double figures. If that gets you another six to nine points it could be the difference whether you stay up, and that small margin is huge.
'I think they are a top six team this season and maybe if they can find that superstar striker who can score 20 goals that might be the difference that gets them up.
You may also want to watch:
'You know there are clubs in that division who will spend. I think that includes Cardiff and Derby. You have Newcastle and Villa who are two massive clubs. You are battling against two teams who can spend on transfer fees and big wages and the expectations will be on them getting straight back up.
'I think if Norwich can stay in the top six that would be a real good season but I would expect them to be in and around it and you never know if you get that momentum, a bit of luck them you can challenge for the top two. As a club I would imagine that is the expectation. They have a manager who has got them up before so you have to be confident.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash