Steven Whittaker aims to grab his second chance at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Steven Whittaker aims to make the most of his second chance at Norwich City.
The Scottish international is poised to continue in place of the injured Ivo Pinto in Saturday's latest Championship test at Birmingham - further evidence he is back in from the cold after appearing to be surplus to requirements at Carrow Road.
Whittaker made only eight Premier League appearances for the Canaries last season and was out of contract in the summer but agreed a new one-year deal following the club's relegation.
'If we had managed to stay in the Premier League I might have had to go and find first team football elsewhere,' he said. 'It was tough. It was the first time in my career I had been out of the team and its not something I want to come across again. It makes you even more determined and willing to work hard and to take the opportunities when they come along.
'I am an honest professional, I don't try to cause hassle and I am sure the manager appreciated that and the job I did the last time we were in this division.
You may also want to watch:
'My contract was up so from last January I was free to speak to other clubs and there was no secret in that. I definitely had other people looking around at me. I have been here for four years, my family is settled, both my children were born here and this is home for them. I was turning 32 so the opportunity to have another year at Norwich was a no brainer.
'This manager here is honest, he tells you how it is and that is all you want. From a player's point of view you can respect that and he appreciated the way I went about my business when I wasn't in the team.'
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 10 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk