Steve Evans reveals he wants to bring Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty to Leeds
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty is a January target for Leeds United chief Steve Evans.
Evans confirmed on Thursday he had spoken to his friend Alex Neil to enquire about Lafferty's availability, along with another unnamed target for the Elland Road club.
Evans' friendship with his fellow Scot saw Tony Andreu and Vadis Ofoe join previous club Rotherham on loan deals earlier this season and Evans is now keen on out-of-favour striker Lafferty to bolster his frontline.
The Northern Ireland international reiterated earlier this week, ahead of his country's friendly against Latvia in Belfast on Friday, he needs regular club football to be in tip top shape for the Euro 2016 finals next summer.
Evans is prepared to offer him an escape route but admits that is for Neil to decide.
'I don't know Kyle Lafferty but I didn't like him when he played for Glasgow Rangers because he always gave Glasgow Celtic a problem,' Evans told the Yorkshire Post. 'And I didn't like him last season when he came on and changed the game against Rotherham.
'He's good friends with Stuart (Dallas), he's done absolutely terrifically well for Northern Ireland and I've placed a call into Alex Neil just to ask what the situation is.
'It was just a call to ask about the availability of one or two players that Alex has. And Alex Neil I know is like myself, he's a grafter. Alex is a friend and when he gets a minute and a decision he will call me. Lafferty is a good player but does it mean we can bring him to Elland Road and is he the first person we want in the door?
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 6 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 7 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 8 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 9 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 10 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
'They are all questions that will remain private but Kyle Lafferty is a lad that whatever happens and, I am being totally neutral here as I have never spoken to the lad, but he needs to be playing first team football if he's going to the Euros in the summer.'