Southend United 0, Norwich City 0

Norwich City were firing blanks again on Thursday night as they produced their second goalless 90 minutes in the space of three days.

After Tuesday's 1-0 defeat at Crystal Palace, Paul Lambert's Canaries were held to a scoreless draw by League Two club Southend United at Roots Hall.

City were operating with just one out-and-out striker for virtually the whole evening, Steve Morison making way for Aaron Wilbraham in the more advanced role in the second half.

With new loan recruit Kyle Naughton and fit-again Adam Drury making their first pre-season appearances in the two full-back roles, there were eight changes to the starting line-up from the Palace game.

French defender-turned-striker Bilel Mohsni volleyed over for the hosts from an eighth-minute free-kick, then he glanced a header wide from Sean Clohessy's cross.

Ryan Hall volleyed wide as Southend continued their busy start, and Luke Prosser headed wide from a corner.

Naughton was involved for the first time when he latched on to David Fox's pass and crossed low into the area, but Elliott Bennett dummied to no one in particular and the chance was squandered.

Most Read

Chris Barker almost handed City the lead in the 18th minute when his backpass fell short of goalkeeper Glenn Morris, but Wes Hoolahan, wearing the captain's armband, was unable to take advantage.

City were careless in possession in their own half at times but might have gone ahead after 26 minutes when lone striker Steve Morison shot over the top from a useful opening after Hoolahan's pass set him up.

Southend rallied and Mohsni was unlucky when he swivelled splendidly to fire wide from Hall's pass, before Neil Harris, Morison's former Millwall colleague, brought Declan Rudd into action with a well-struck effort from outside the penalty box.

Hoolahan then produced a similar effort at the other end, Morris beating it away.

Andrew Surman curled a left-foot shot just over three minutes after the restart and then tested Morris from further out.

After City had made six changes around the hour mark, they almost fell behind when a header from Mohsni clipped the top of the bar.

Simon Lappin fired over the stand from fellow substitute Simeon Jackson's cross, but Chris Martin went closer three minutes from time with a free-kick that Morris dived to his left to save.

• Southend United: Morris; Clohessy, Phillips, Barker, Prosser; Hall (Leonard, 89), Kalala (Sawyer, 77), Grant, Jemal Johnson (N'Diaye, 69); Mohsni, Harris. Subs (not used): Gilbert, Coughlan, Bentley, Asante.

• Norwich City: Rudd; Naughton (Russell Martin, 58), Barnett (De Laet, 66), Whitbread (Francomb, 66), Drury (Tierney, 45); Bennett (Jackson, 66), Fox (Crofts, 63), Bradley Johnson (Korey Smith, 63), Surman (Lappin, 63); Hoolahan (Chris Martin, 58); Morison (Wilbraham, 58). Subs (not used): Ruddy, Adeyemi, Holt.

• Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambs)

• Attendance: 2,908 (351 City fans)