Six years ago today, this happened ... Ipswich Town 1 Norwich City 5
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2011
April 21, 2011, Portman Road, Ipswich Town v Norwich City.
It was a match which prompted a new spelling of Ipswich – Ip5w1ch – but much more importantly will go down as one of the great games in Norwich City's history.
It was of course the 5-1 demolition – and for once, that word is used wholly appropriately – of the old enemy. On their own turf. On the way to promotion to the Premier League.
Somehow it doesn't get any better than that – unless, of course, you add in the fact that five months earlier City had dished out a 4-1 thrashing to the same team at Carrow Road.
The tale of the tape began after just 13 minutes when Andrew Surman tapped in after Town keeper Arran Lee-Barrett – previously on City's books – parried Wes Hoolahan's cross.
You may also want to watch:
Then came an own goal from Gareth McAuley, who put David Fox's corner past Lee-Barrett. Simeon Jackson converted Grant Holt's cross for the third on 73 minutes. Jimmy Bullard pulled a goal back for Town, but with 10 minutes to go, Russell Martin got in on the act and then substitute Danny Pacheco wrapped it up in the 90th minute.
'We have personnel in the team that can make things happen,' manager Paul Lambert said.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
And how ...
Ipswich: A Lee-Barrett, G McAuley, D O'Dea, D Delaney, J Carson, G Leadbitter, D Norris, C Edwards, J Bullard, J Scotland (A Drury 46), C Wickham. Subs not used: J Peters, C Healy, J White, L Civelli, T Brown, M Fulop.
Norwich: J Ruddy, E Ward, Z Whitbread, M Tierney, R Martin, A Crofts, A Surman, D Fox (H Lansbury 76), W Hoolahan (D Pacheco 84), S Jackson, G Holt (S Vokes 82). Subs not used: A McNamee, R Edwards, S Lappin, D Rudd.
Referee: Jonathan Moss
Ipswich: Jimmy Bullard 78
Norwich: Andrew Surman 13, Gareth McAuley 24og, Simeon Jackson 73, Russell Martin 80, Dani Pacheco 90.