Should Norwich City let Steven Naismith go on a free transfer as the Canaries look to slash their wage bill?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
After Norwich City dispensed with seven senior players on Tuesday it looks like Steven Naismith could be next.
The Scotland international was brought to Carrow Road with some pretty hefty expectations placed upon him, thanks in no small part to the reported £8.5m Norwich paid Everton for his services.
Now, just 16 months on, the Canaries are reportedly considering letting Naismith go on a free this summer.
Sporting director Stuart Webber admitted in a recent interview that he was surprised at the current wage bill and with Naismith on around £50,000 a week, there is a big saving to be made.
The dilemma for City is whether they sit tight and wait to see if any interest develops in Naismith this summer in the hope they can recoup some of that £8.5m they paid.
You may also want to watch:
Or should Webber cut the cord now? Pay part of Naismith's two-year contract up now and let him pursue a deal elsewhere? Is Naismith even willing to do that?
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk