Should Norwich City let Steven Naismith go on a free transfer as the Canaries look to slash their wage bill?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
After Norwich City dispensed with seven senior players on Tuesday it looks like Steven Naismith could be next.
The Scotland international was brought to Carrow Road with some pretty hefty expectations placed upon him, thanks in no small part to the reported £8.5m Norwich paid Everton for his services.
Now, just 16 months on, the Canaries are reportedly considering letting Naismith go on a free this summer.
Sporting director Stuart Webber admitted in a recent interview that he was surprised at the current wage bill and with Naismith on around £50,000 a week, there is a big saving to be made.
The dilemma for City is whether they sit tight and wait to see if any interest develops in Naismith this summer in the hope they can recoup some of that £8.5m they paid.
Or should Webber cut the cord now? Pay part of Naismith's two-year contract up now and let him pursue a deal elsewhere? Is Naismith even willing to do that?
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 9 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park