Should Norwich City have a betting company as the club’s main sponsor?
- Credit: Jason Dawson/JASONPIX
It was announced yesterday that mobile gaming and sports betting operator LeoVegas is Norwich City's new main sponsor.
The Swedish-based company will become a principal partner for the next three seasons and their logo will appear on the club's adult first team shirts and matchday training wear, along with branding at Carrow Road.
LeoVegas replace insurance giant Aviva who had been the club's shirt sponsor for the past nine years. City's new home strip is set to be launched on Saturday online and through the club's Canaries Official outlets at Carrow Road, Chapelfield and Castle Mall.
MORE: Norwich City unveil LeoVegas as the club's new main sponsorBut the move sparked a debate amongst fans surrounding the morals of having a betting company as the club's main sponsor.
Brian Sparrow said: 'They have made a big mistake, having them for sponsors it sends out the wrong message.'
Leigh Woodrow agreed. He tweeted: 'Uncomfortable with the @LeoVegasUK @NorwichCityFC link. Not sure about buying new shirt.
And Dave Montgomery said: 'I think this is truly disappointing.'
But some fans pointed out the need for the club to secure financial support.
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 3 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 10 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
Colin Peppiatt said: 'No one would choose a gambling company as a sponsor, but these days those are the only people with the money and interest in sponsoring football clubs and you have to take the money where you can get it.'
• What do you think? Let us know by taking our poll and commenting below.